Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Mini Tunica trip report

Before I start I wanted to let everyone know that Sam's Town has a $145 freezeout with $5,000 added on July 7th. Capped at 220 players. Tourney starts at 11am with signups starting at 9am. The 9am signup sucks three butts. They won't let you sign up any other time and noone else can sign you up.

So I received an email from the Grand giving me a free room on Wed and Thur night. All the other kids were gone except my 16 month old girl so we jumped at it.

I called to confirm about the free hotel room and the lady asked for a credit card #. I asked if that was on there in case we threw a party and destroyed their room. She said no it was in case we didin't show up and that they would charge us for one night. I asked her if 1x0 = 0. She said if we didn't show that we would be charged one nights normal rate.

So I go and play in the 11am $60 freezeout at The Gold Strike. (We couldn't check in until 3pm.)I give myself a peptalk because I've been running/playing so bad lately. I've started playing looser and looser donking off all my chips.

So I fold my first three hands. YES, I am now officially playing tighter!!! I make a decent raise after like 5 limpers and one guy goes all in on me. Oh well right move at the wrong time.

A few hands later in the SB I have Ac9c. A guy that might have actually played every hand raises to 250 OTB. I call and the BB folds, so we're HU. The flop came A-9-2 rainbow. He bet 500 and I called real fast. Just trying to look like I was tired of him raising everyhand and I wasn't skeeeeeeeeeered. The turn was a 4 with no FD's.
He went all in and I thought about what he could possibly have. After 30 seconds I called and he showed 3-5os. MFer!!!! Blank river and I'm out.

I go play a lil 1-2 NL and quit about 50 up when the wife says it's time to eat.

I go to the Shoe and get 2 to the buffet and shovel about 25lbs of fattness down my throat. Wife and daughter probably embarrassed to be seen with me. Honestly I'm embarrassed to be seen.

By now it's about 4pm and we decide it's time to go check in at the Grand.

I've always been told when in Vegas to tip $20 for a preferred room. I wanted to pass on that I've always tipped $5 in Tunica got the same results. That doesn't mean they gave me a suite. I just get the room by the elevator and somehow they always are able to find me a nonsmoking room with a kingsized bed.

We get checked in fine and after an hour or so my wife says "I would have thought you'd be playing poker again by now". Wooooohooooo music to my ears.

So I head over to The Grand poker room and was very surprised how slow it was. The had one 4-8 LHE and one 1-3 NLHE going. I sit in at the NL game and donked off about 75 in the first 10 minutes when I bluffed at the river with a pair and a busted FD against a weak ace.

I then went cold for about an hour in a game that was pretty loose. I wasn't waiting for aces or anything I just didn't have shiat. So I finally look down at 2 red aces UTG. I raised to 15 and had 5 callers. Not really what I wanted. The flop was 3-5-10 with 2 clubs. The SB bet 50 and I went all in for 172 total. Thoughts? I wasn't folding and I just couldn't see calling with 4 others to act after me. (As usual everyone had me covered.) Everyone folds to the SB and he asks me if I have a set. I don't know why I said anything but I did say "I'll show you". I don't think that had any bearing on what he did but after another minute or so he called with 3-5 os. I'm telling ya I think 3-5 will be the end of me. The turn and river blanked and I had to rebuy.

Less than 10 hands later I have 2 black aces in the BB. It gets folded to a guy in LP and he calls the $3. Mr. 3-5os raises to $18. I reraised to 50 and the guy in LP calls and so does Mr. 3-5.

The flop comes 8-9-10 rainbow. Well I didn't like the flop but I dunno. The more I thought about it the more I didn't think Mr. LP would have called with JQ. He could have had a set I guess but what was I to do? (oh ya again as usual the both had me covered. I started with 180.) So I said "I guess I give some more away here" and I pushed. More thoughts? Mr.LP calls and Mr. 3-5 folds. LP turns over 10-J The turn brings a beatiful 7, well it was beautiful for HIM!!!! Well I prayed to the poker gods foe a Jack but he laughed in my face and I bust again. (I'd really love some feedback on how dumb I am)

So the walk back to the shuttle I quit poker about 13 different times.

Well I wake up a new man and decide to go play in the Sam's Town $55 freezeout. Now I'm determined to play like a champ. I double up in the first level when my AQ on a A hi flop holds up against a guy on a FD.

A couple levels later I lose most of my chips against a pretty loose player on a A-5-6 flop. I had 5-6 and he had A6.

Then for some crazy reason my 9-2 all in doesn't hold up against AQ. Weird isn't it?

So I go buy in the 1-2 NL with 200. It was the only table going and there were just 5 of us. Somehow I managed to play about every hand.

I look down at 8d10d in MP and I call the $2 along with 2 others. The flop came 8c KdJd. I bet 10 folds to girl she calls. Turn was a 4x I bet 25 she calls. river brings a J and I bet 45 and she thinks for like 3 hours (30 secs) and goes all in for like 45 more. I fold and she shows me KJ.

A few hands later I had Ks2s and had just won like 5 consecutive small pots so I called the $2. The tightest guy on plante Earth raised it to a whopping $4. One other guy called back to me. I called and asked them both to check the flop to give me a chance to catch up. The flop had a bunch of nothing besides one spade. Well they both checked as did I. The turn was a non pairing spade. Capt. TightButt bet 10 other guy folded and I called. The river brought another spade. I bet 25 and he threw his cards at the dealer showing KK.

A little later I called with about 4 people (table now filled) with Ac6c. The flop brought 2 clubs and I bet 10 or so and everyone folded to last guy who called. I bet more on turn and he called. Then I got a club on the river and checked like a dummy. Well he bet $40 into about a $80 pot. so I go into my award winning chatter about how I just might throw up if he shows me a flush as I raised him $50 more. he called with the 2nd nut flush. Dang, I wished I bet more!

Last hand of any significance was me haveing JJ in MP. I raised to $12 and Capt. TightButt called instantly. I knew he had KK or AA. I asked the guy next to me is there any chance at all TB has AK? He said what I had thought "no way"

The flop was AQ2. I checked he bet 15. I showed him my jacks and told him I would have folded to a $1 bet to him on that hand. He said "well as good as you're running a jack was coming" in a real jerky sort of way. I told him if he would checked to me the like he did the last time he had KK I just might have.

He showed me KK. Now I wished I would have bet that ace hi flop just to watch him fold. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I left there up about $250 pretty happy with the way I played.

We then ate at the Shoe again and headed back to the room to watch the NBA draft.

I'm happy with how my Grizz did.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Mini Tunica trip report

On the July 7th tourney......what is rake on that tourney?
Old 06-29-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the July 7th tourney......what is rake on that tourney?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno butt I forgot to mention that. The $55 entry one only $35 goe in the pool. 10 for dealers and 10 rake.

We were at the table talking baout that and the dealer about bit our head off saying it was the best in Tunica. I didn't think a near 40% was good nor the best but I left it alone.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:53 PM

LMFAO......CLOSE TO 40%

What a joke some of these tourneys are becoming.............anything over 10% is a freaking joke.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:52 PM

Good read. I was laughing most of the way thru it. If I was you, I'd think twice about playing A's next time lol...seriously though, you just got coolered. Nothing you could do really. I'm surprised you got that much action after raising as much you did.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good read. I was laughing most of the way thru it. If I was you, I'd think twice about playing A's next time lol...seriously though, you just got coolered. Nothing you could do really. I'm surprised you got that much action after raising as much you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got AA at Sam's Town on the last day and I raised with 1 caller to like 18. The girl looked at me like a confused dog does and called. I bet 31 on a flop with 2 hearts and she called. The turn was a 2s and I just said eff it and went all in for like 400. Yes I know stupid but it just couldn't happen to me again could it. (she had like 125 left) She folded Kh10h. PHEW!

I was blown away the guy called that % of eff stacks with 10-J.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:16 PM

Damn you get aces alot.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:29 PM

Great report ND! I was chuckling most of the time and wincing the rest of the time when you aces kept getting cracked.

You asked for thoughts on how you played those hands....I'd have done exactly the same thing you did. However, you should take that advice with a grain of salt since I pretty much switched over to limit HE when I figured out I didn't have the bankroll to keep getting my aces cracked in NL. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Seriously, I've been there man.

Sounds like a good trip over all and I'm glad you had a good time. I bet they fill that tourney up at Sam's Town. They were pushing it big time when I stopped by there on my trip a couple weeks ago. I even heard several players over at the Gold Strike talking about it and saying they were going to play in it. Should be a good one.

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed it.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:33 PM

"I bet they fill that tourney up at Sam's Town. They were pushing it big time when I stopped by there on my trip a couple weeks ago. I even heard several players over at the Gold Strike talking about it and saying they were going to play in it. Should be a good one."

I told the TD I have to work on Saturday mornings until like 9:30 and could barely make it there by 11. I told him I'd be glad to pay right there. He said he wasn't allowing sign ups until 9 am. I asked him what time people should have to be there to be able to play. He said "about 9". WTF why would you ask 220 people to start signing up 2 hours before the tourney?
Old 06-29-2007, 05:24 PM

I think the AA hands were fine, simply based on the fact that all your alternative plays are worse.