Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 04:15 PM

Default I hate AK: UI, that is.

Villain is 21/4/1.5 with a fold BB of 100% and an attempted steal of 12%. Furthermore, he wins money 77% of his showdowns. I think it's safe to say that this guy doesn't call on air?

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 4.25 BB

I never know what's standard here. Turn c/f ok? After all, what could he have called the flop on? Do I get bluffed too often like this? I don't mind about the occasional bluff, as long as I save more money than I miss out on.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Re: I hate AK: UI, that is.

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is 21/4/1.5 with a fold BB of 100% and an attempted steal of 12%. Furthermore, he wins money 77% of his showdowns. I think it's safe to say that this guy doesn't call on air?

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 4.25 BB

I never know what's standard here. Turn c/f ok? After all, what could he have called the flop on? Do I get bluffed too often like this? I don't mind about the occasional bluff, as long as I save more money than I miss out on.

[/ QUOTE ]

he calls the flop with many combo's of straight draws that you beat. i would b/f the turn and C/C most rivers UI
Old 06-28-2007, 04:21 PM

In my experience he will just call again; then what?

Yeah I think I'd have said the same thing, it's just that lately I'm losing money on AK. I've lost money on, like, 60 times AK... I used to take your line.

Guess it's one of those grind-your-teeth-and-bet situations...
Old 06-28-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my experience he will just call again; then what?

Yeah I think I'd have said the same thing, it's just that lately I'm losing money on AK. I've lost money on, like, 60 times AK... I used to take your line.

[/ QUOTE ]

losing money on AK = probably variance.

i still dont see how you can C/F this turn. maybe its ok online, but if i C/F these turns playing live 2 things happen.

1) opponents float me on the flop constantly and then steal.
2) opponents rarely pay me off when i have an overpair.

these metagame factors make it 100% essential to bet the turn here for me.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:27 PM

The read dictates that you should
B/F turn.
C/F river UI.

You're ahead of a ton of draws and him checking behind is much worse than him betting the turn because you'll be giving him a free card. This is especially true because the turn card makes him much less likely to have a T and adds a flush draw.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:33 PM

I think you guy are right. I was seeking some reassurance. Variance can make you doubt the correct play. This is online btw.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:36 PM

You've represented the overpair thus far, then you check when the top board card pairs on the turn. I seriously doubt this guy is firing with a draw when you do that; good check/fold.

This is one of those cases where you have to think not only about what he's holding, but about what he thinks you're holding.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've represented the overpair thus far, then you check when the top board card pairs on the turn. I seriously doubt this guy is firing with a draw when you do that; good check/fold.

This is one of those cases where you have to think not only about what he's holding, but about what he thinks you're holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you figure we're repping an ovpr here? just because we bet the flop? also for most players, overpairs would still bet the turn.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:49 PM

Look at the opponent's playing style, and look at how he would play AA-JJ here vs. how he would play AK.

I'm not saying he has to have a T to bet here, nor am I saying that he's never going to suspect you of having unimproved overcards when you check. I'm just saying that I doubt he's going to bet a worse hand on the turn, for fear that you do have a scared overpair. He's got a made hand of some sort pretty much every single time, and it's not nearly worth putting another bet into this tiny pot on the off chance that he's got QJ or K high.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm just saying that I doubt he's going to bet a worse hand on the turn, for fear that you do have a scared overpair. He's got a made hand of some sort pretty much every single time, and it's not nearly worth putting another bet into this tiny pot on the off chance that he's got QJ or K high.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I was thinking at the table when I made the C/F, but then I wondered if I was't getting weak-tight because of bad variance.