Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 05:33 AM

Default living in vegas

Hey guys my parents are looking for a place to retire to they want somewhere warmer than here(colo) but some where that still has seasons ( not florida ) vegas is on there short list am tring my hardest to get them to pick vegas. my question is what parts of vegas should I be suggesting they were talking henderson or boulder city I think. They both like to play golf and fish. I am sure they would be looking in the 300k to 400k price range for housing.I will be out there next week and I was going to take a couple of hours to drive around and look at neiborhoods. any suggestions or ideas how I might convince them to pick vegas over austin tx which I belive is there other chice at this point? they want me to go out with them in a couple of months to look at housing and nebiorhoods. thanks in advance for any help
Old 06-25-2007, 07:20 AM

Default Re: living in vegas

You guessed it.........Henderson or Boulder City.

Having lived in Vegas for 20 years and in that time living all over the city, Henderson and Boulder City are by far the best places to live imo.

Traffic is HORRIBLE if one lives on the west side(Summerlin).

Having said that, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND to anybody to move to Vegas.

POLLUTION, CRIME, TRAFFIC, NUCLEAR DUMP SITE, and NO CULTURE.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:25 AM

OP, I lived in Boulder City for 4 years of my life (albeit much younger at the time), and its really a nice town. There are like 5 golf courses, and there were recently some recreational lake/pond type deals put in for fishing. Also, Boulder City owns a very substantial amount of land, which henderson and Las Vegas have tried to purchase, but Boulder City refuses to sell. That being said, it will never become overcrowded and etc, so it will probably be a nice place to live for a long time to come.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Pollution? I hardly ever notice it and out toward Henderson it's not nearly as bad as downtown. It's kinda interesting to be back 15 miles out after 3 windless days (which are rare) and see the layer of smog overhanging. But not really a major issue at all.

Crime? Don't live in downtown or North Las Vegas. Get out in Henderson or especially Boulder City and there ain't much crime at all.

Traffic? Residential streets out here where I live (not even all the way to Henderson) are no more traffic clogged than the streets in my original hometown of 45K people in KS. Stay off I215 and I15 from 3:30pm to 6:15pm and stay away from the strip and you won't notice traffic.

Nuclear dump? ok...give me one example of how this has impacted you. If it weren't for the stories in the paper you wouldn't even know it was going on. Absolutely zero impact on life in Vegas.

No culture? What are you, a cad? Can you say "Dealertainers"?

Ok...so you may be right about the no culture thing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2007, 04:31 PM

It isn't nuclear, but Henderson does have one of the biggest toxic waste dumps in the country.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Pollution? I hardly ever notice it and out toward Henderson it's not nearly as bad as downtown. It's kinda interesting to be back 15 miles out after 3 windless days (which are rare) and see the layer of smog overhanging. But not really a major issue at all.

Crime? Don't live in downtown or North Las Vegas. Get out in Henderson or especially Boulder City and there ain't much crime at all.

Traffic? Residential streets out here where I live (not even all the way to Henderson) are no more traffic clogged than the streets in my original hometown of 45K people in KS. Stay off I215 and I15 from 3:30pm to 6:15pm and stay away from the strip and you won't notice traffic.

Nuclear dump? ok...give me one example of how this has impacted you. If it weren't for the stories in the paper you wouldn't even know it was going on. Absolutely zero impact on life in Vegas.

No culture? What are you, a cad? Can you say "Dealertainers"?

Ok...so you may be right about the no culture thing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-25-2007, 06:51 PM

I hear many people say North Las Vegas is a bad place. Is it one big getto with lots of thuggish gangstas and meth addicts?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:54 PM

Don't forget about the 5% humidity and heat. Try drinking 15 bottled waters a day and still be dehydrated.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:45 AM

I'll echo the other poster's sentiment that traffic is awful west of the strip, both in Summerlin and Southwest. However, the bad traffic is pretty much limited to the roads that go to and from the strip, so if you're not making that drive often it might not matter very much.

Summerlin and especially Southwest are both very newly developed areas. For the most part I think the housing is pretty nice if you were to look at each home individually, but as a whole the areas have a distinct Levittown feel. All the homes and all the subdivisions look identical. That doesn't bother some people, but to me it's kind of depressing.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-25-2007, 11:22 AM

I'm a native Texan and I love the Hill Country and Austin, outside of the University. lol If they are thinking Austin, go there in July. Once they hit that humidity, there's a much better chance they'll say, Let's go to Vegas.

I love Texas, but the muggy days suck. Viva Vegas