Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Having a Roommate vs Not Having a Roommate--Thoughts?

I've been looking at different places in chicago recently and can't seem to decide if I want to live w/ a friend of mine or live on my own.

In college, having roommates is a must, but out of college I'm not so sure.

OK, so I'm looking at some pros and cons. Any of your thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.

PROS

Cheaper Rent

Someone to hang out with when I'm bored

Perhaps easier to meet others (not really sure about this one though)

It seems to me that Studios suck and 1 bedroom apts are really expensive--so having a roommate avoids both of those problems.

CONS

A lot of the places we're looking at suck b/c his price range is so small (he works at Whole Foods...can't afford much).

If I have a girlfriend over er something, it could be annoying to have someone hanging out in the TV room er a few feet away in the next room. I feel like everyone has a slightly different personality around girlfriends than their friends.

I have to get up at 6am every morning fer work, so if he's loud that might get annoying (however, i stay up really late, so that may not be a problem).

I dunno, any thoughts would be appreciated. This seems different than college--so I'm not sure if having a roommate is really the best move.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Having a Roommate vs Not Having a Roommate--Thoughts?

My thought is once you're out of school, it's time to grow up and get your own place (apart from live-in girlfriend or wife, obviously).
Old 06-23-2007, 02:46 PM

I can't imagine living alone. I need someone to talk to and joke with... and I'm not really even a people person.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine living alone. I need someone to talk to and joke with... and I'm not really even a people person.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is far better if it's with someone who isn't mutually trapped into socialization the same way you are. Socializing that is voluntary >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>> socializing whether you like it or not no matter what the circumstances.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:03 PM

IMO you should get a roommate.

I have lived on my own for periods of time and it is very, very depressing.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is far better if it's with someone who isn't mutually trapped into socialization the same way you are. Socializing that is voluntary >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>> socializing whether you like it or not no matter what the circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be honest, I don't know what you said right there.

I will say that I have never lived with a random person. (Well first half of freshman year in college, but I'm not counting that.) Anyone who I've ever lived with has been a friend first, then I decided to move in with them or we got a place. This is why I don't fear skipped payments, unpaid bills, and why I have no problem bringing girls back.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:28 PM

For me, it's:

Living with good friend>>>>>living alone>>>>>living with some random person or someone you don't know that well
Old 06-23-2007, 03:37 PM

I'm kind of at a loss as to what's not clear there, but I'll try again. It's much nicer to be able to pick and choose when you'll see other people and when you won't. There are times when you'd rather just have a quiet place, or that one of your roommate's more annoying friends was not there. When you want to sleep late but you can't because there's noise going on in the living room. Etc.

Re living with friends eliminating problems, there's an old saying that the best way to lose a friend is to have him as a roommate. You may not feel that there are as many problems, and sometimes that's true and sometimes it isn't. Peoples' characters change when you live with them as compared to just seeing them out on the street. But the thing is, what problems do arise can be much harder to work with sometimes, because you're friends. If a roommate who started as a stranger is perpetually late with the rent, maybe you argue a lot and finally kick him out. If you can. With a friend, a lot more feels like it is at stake, and that's harder to do. Which some roommate/friends will count on.

I'm speaking from a huge amount of experience on this, and hope yours is different if you get a roommate. I'm just saying, it's good not to take too much pride in discounting the very real possibilities. Basically, when you live with someone, they have the ability to make your home not your castle -- indeed to f*ck with you in many ways and make your place someplace you dread coming back to or bringing people over to.

Amusing and scary examples abound in my past. One of my favorites: One night when taking my laundry out back to the laundry room, I turned the corner and found out that the crazy guy screaming unintelligible gibberish into the night for hours on end was my roommate, guzzling out of a brown paper bag.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My thought is once you're out of school, it's time to grow up and get your own place (apart from live-in girlfriend or wife, obviously).

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck with that thought in NYC.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck with that thought in NYC.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, obviously financial considerations are huge here. Depending on where you live, you might just not be able to afford it.