Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 10:11 AM

Default luckboxable rivers

Just a quick scenario question

So you open a hand like A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the SB and the BB 3-bets you. Assume you have won a lot of blind battles and he may be getting sick of it, but that's all i got coach.

Flop is K36 1 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

You check and call.

So turn is Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] you check and call. (Anybody raise here with success?)

River is another [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

So the question is - bet or check/raise?

fwiw i realized i check/raise the river a LOT. It has helped me a lot in my weaker holdings and i've seen a lottt more showdowns because of it but i think this is a different type of spot.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Re: luckboxable rivers

When I dont know what the other guy has, or what kind of hands he'll bet on the river with, or what kind of hands he'll call a check/raise with, I just donk the river myself.

I think the flop play and the turn play are interesting cuz I can see valid arguments for a handful of other lines.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:55 PM

Agree with ILP. The chance he gives up and checks behind here with a pp or A high that he would have called a bet with are too great imo. (Also, if he really hates you, he might tilt raise you, and there is nothing hotter than b3bing runner-runner suckouts [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )
Old 06-22-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree with ILP. The chance he gives up and checks behind here with a pp or A high that he would have called a bet with are too great imo. (Also, if he really hates you, he might tilt raise you, and there is nothing hotter than b3bing runner-runner suckouts [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement reminded me of another general point. Whenever you have a hand thats strong enough to bet/3bet you should be less inclined to check/raise overall. This factor doesnt really play a role in why I would donk the river, but nevertheless is still a minute detail that tips the scale by a small fraction in the direction of betting.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:11 PM

Yeah i think the river is a must bet. He's not betting J9o again i don't think.

I don't plan on making the flush so i called the turn kinda quick in a "lol u gonna win 2.5 BBs postflop" kinda way.

You take a different flop/turn line? TBH i think my options are kinda limited here.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You take a different flop/turn line? TBH i think my options are kinda limited here.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I would usually take the exact line you took, but against some opponents your options may not be as limited.

For example, since youre going to call the flop anyways, check/raising may be better against players who can fold a better ace high or a hand like 55s/44s/22s. I realize this play doesnt apply to most opponents but it is still a play that should be considered vs some opponents. Folding the flop is also a play that should be considered against some opponents.

Turn play: Check/raising could be the play if you think the villain can fold A9,A8,A7,A5,A4,A2 or JJ-77,55,44,22. Donking out may also be the play if you think the villain is likely to take a cheap showdown route with those hands but may make a super laydown with some of those hands. Again I realize that most opponents are not gonna let these hands go no matter what you do, but that doesnt mean these lines should be thrown out from consideration. They have their moments.