Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 06:56 PM

Default what to do with $55?

I have $55 on full tilt and I'm unsure whether to play .05/.1 cash games or $1 SNG, etc.

any advice?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:15 PM

Default Re: what to do with $55?

Which do you like better?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:51 PM

Try em both
Old 06-20-2007, 07:52 PM

You're at the right level for the cash game, and once you figure out the flow of how everyone usually acts, you can probably multi-table to maximize your results. Definitely use Poker Tracker and an Excel spreadsheet to make sure you're on top of things and take breaks as you should, but you can really do well with $50 at the .10 tables with $50.

The SNG's, I like to have a little bit more money for that; somewhere around 100 buy-ins. I know it sounds a lot, but really one good downswing in the SNG's can reallly ruin your budget. Most SNG's have a very specific pattern to them, and they can be learned easily, but while you're learning them, it's best to have a bankroll that you can make mistakes with.

If you see a hand in a .05/.10 limit game, it usually costs you .05, but it could cost as much as .20. If you see a hand in a SNG, it costs you $1.10. Flat. I'm not saying you really shouldn't play SNG's; they're my favorite game to play. But I'd take a little bigger bankroll when you do.
Take care.

Cameron
Old 06-20-2007, 08:07 PM

Aren't the generic BR recommendations 20 BIs for NL and 100 BIs for SNGs?

OP has 5.5 BIs for ring games and 50+ BIs for SNGs, making him closer to being properly rolled for the SNGs.

Did I miss something?

Besides, BR considerations only come into play if the "roll" is non replenishable, and if the player is a winning player.

OP, any history in cash games or SNGs? How easy would it be for you to drop another $50 into your account?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:20 PM

I usually play limit ring games and NL SNG's. 5.5 BI's if you sit with the max BI at a NL table, so yes. Learning how to get around the game, though, I would imagine limit HE would be better at a ring game, since OP has half of what he needs at a SNG. There is no max at limit hold 'em cash tables, so I count in terms of BB's (OP has 500).
Old 06-20-2007, 08:30 PM

Take that $55 and grind it up at $.01/.02 I don't know anyone who likes to deposit and starting here seems like your best bet to not go busto within a few days...or even hours.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:31 PM

I see. I just assumed he was playing NL. My bad. I'm just going to stick with:

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, BR considerations only come into play if the "roll" is non-replenishable, and if the player is a winning player.

OP, any history in cash games or SNGs? How easy would it be for you to drop another $50 into your account?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-21-2007, 09:38 PM

LOL. He has $55. So he should but Pokertracker for $55 then what?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:00 PM

Didn't read through all of the response but my opinion would be to play $1 sng's until you get it to atleast $100 and then short buy the 10max NL. Those games are all vey simple. The hardest part being playing for so little and keeping patience. I wouldn't normally suggest this at any limit higher than like 50nl but when you get to $150-$175 I would start full buying but be sure to search for good tables when doing that.

GL