Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Theory of Leverage

actually i been using this theory of leverage concept from the chapter in Full Tilts new tournament book, in my cash game for about a week and i have seen very increased profits. Normally i play like a Rock and i increase my profit very slowly. but my profits have just skyrocketed although i do play micro limits 10 NL AND 25 nl. Im not sure if its just a good run of cards or if this concept is this powerful for cash games also. Does any experienced NLH players have any thoughts on this. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Theory of Leverage

what is the theory?
Old 06-19-2007, 10:45 PM

Basically the idea is to raise your marginal and good hands the same size to three times the big blind. you normally want to be the first to raise. Ideally you want 1 caller, two callers max. AFter the flop you want to bet half the size of the pot. Also bet half the size of the pot on the turn as well half the size of the pot on the river. What you want is to put pressure on your opponents when they dont have a hand or they have a marginal hand hoping that thell fold early in the hand or by the river. Now if they have a great hand normally there going to raise you at some point in the hand which you can fold if you have a marginal hand, while not losing very much. Now since your in there raising with your great hands the same amount as your marginal and bluff hands if you get raised while you have a great hand, your going to make lots of money off your opponent. Also the betting is different all depending on two types of flops, which you need to read the chapter in the book to get the information on that. So in a nutshell your risking little with your marginal and bluff hands and if your opponets have marginal hands you will win most of the time with fold equity and sometimes your marginal hand will beat his marginal hand. The times you dont win you will have risked little and the times you have a great hand theres a good chance to make alot of money. Your opponents just cant seem to know what you have and you got the leverage and a very confused opponent.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:31 PM

Sounds like a standard LAG style of play. Not the half pot betting, but basically creating a lot of action and putting the pressure on your opponents. Th action means you often get paid off with your big hands and by putting pressure on your opponents you will often take down contested pots when both you and your opponent are holding marginal hands.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:23 AM

Its close to LAG but i have seen very good LAG players bet about the size of the pot if not more here you going for half the pot on every street which to me is still signifigent but half the risk. I think this is more effective for TAG type players who want to mix up there game with some LAG (switching gears)while risking losing less when there opponents play back at them and also getting there good hands paid off. David, MAtt or Sunny do you have any thoughts on this pertaining to NLH cash games. Thanks
Old 06-20-2007, 12:33 AM

It's right as far as it goes, but it's a very, very basic strategy and it's not enough by itself to make you a long-term winner. Learn to do it, then learn when to do it and when not to. When an opponent notices you're betting on far more than your share of hands, they'll trap you with their good hands or reraise you on a bluff. Then it gets a lot more tricky.

It's very possible that you've been on a roll recently, either of good cards or of opponents who weren't paying attention. It's also possible that in spite of the bad things I just said, this strategy is better than what you were doing before.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:45 AM

Bad Lobster,

Thanks for the comments.

Im figuring thats were knowing when to shifting gears comes into play. From TAG to LAG back and forth at the right times. Also i didnt discuss the part about it being depedent on two types of flops and you must know your opponents. Another thing is you rather do it against a weaker table then a stronger one because they use the same concepts as you do. Then changing tables online if you are getting figured out to well.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:17 AM

It's very bizarre to find a circumstance when you want to bet half the pot at flop, turn and river as a bluff. If you're going to continue bluffing, bet larger earlier on so you win more money, duh.

Also, it doesn't make any sense to raise all your hands to the same amount. Just vary a little while you mostly keep raising rational amounts for the hand you're holding, and you'll be much better off.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically the idea is to raise your marginal and good hands the same size to three times the big blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should be doing that anyways....if you are preflop raising big pairs to 5 and connected garbage to 3.5, every time, you might as well just play your hand open....it doesnt take a genius to adjust accordingly and take the pots away from you at will....
Old 06-22-2007, 02:40 AM

We can play small ball poker i take some pots they take some pots but eventually im going to stack someone more times then they stack me. So we can even out on the small ball but i have control and waiting for someone to bluff off there hand when i really do have a good hand. Thats were most of my profit has been . anyways thats been my experience in the micros. Im sure its different from 100 NL up.