Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Medium overpair spot, IŽll never learn

No converter for this site.

First hand of a GBP 20 (~$40).
1500 starting stack. BB = 20.

Hero limps 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG, folds to button who makes it 80, SB folds, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (Pot = 250)
5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB checks, Hero bets 150, Button minraises to 300

My usual line vs an unknown here is to call and then check-fold the turn, which is ridiculous.

Please help me.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Medium overpair spot, IŽll never learn

First off limp calling sucks, you are deep enough to raise here so you have a big pot when you hit. If button 3-bets you it's an easy fold vs. here where he could have a very wide range. Now when you lead the flop of course you'll get raised a lot and you need to be prepared to shove or just check/fold in the first place. So in a nutshell be aggressive.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:29 AM

Any more comments on this would be appreciated.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off limp calling sucks, you are deep enough to raise here so you have a big pot when you hit. If button 3-bets you it's an easy fold vs. here where he could have a very wide range. Now when you lead the flop of course you'll get raised a lot and you need to be prepared to shove or just check/fold in the first place. So in a nutshell be aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesnt suck, its our only chance to setmine and bust a bigger PP. Beacuse if you open for 80 and get 3-bet you have to muck preflop which isnt good. And in some MTT which play loose also limping is highly prefarable cause after you make a standard raise you get anyway 2,3 callers and have to play only for sets which could be done cheaper.

Raising to mix it up with mid PP is fine but I would rather do it beyond level 50/100 where you can play the pot heads-up or take it down uncontested.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:38 PM

limp-calling is fine. It makes it that much easier to stack AA.

I [censored] hate minraisers. I am pretty lost on this spot too and I usually call and check/fold but I think that this might also be a leak of mine too
Old 06-11-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to respectfully disagree. The worst thing that can happen is to raise, then face a large re-raise. If that happens, you may not even get odds to play for set value (depending on the size of the pre-flop raise, and the size of the re-raise). If you're going to fold to a re-raise, then you're essentially raising to win the T30 in the pot (thus ruining the potential value of the hand).

If you raise and get called, you're still at a disadvantage because 1) you're out-of-position and 2) you're probably not going to like the flop.

Limp-calling is perfectly acceptable, this early in the tournament.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:39 PM

i fold here... seems like such a safe flop for the raiser to minraise to try and maximize the value on his hand... u can check/fold turn as well depending on whether he gives it up or fires a good sized bet
Old 06-11-2007, 03:20 PM

limp calling is fine and after the minraise on the flop a fold is a good play. he could just be buying a free turn card with a flush draw so if you think this is the situation you could call then lead the turn if a spade doesnt fall
Old 06-11-2007, 11:12 AM

I might just fold here. You are OOP and there are not really many good cards that can hit the turn. Your decisions on the next two streets are not going to get easier.

I may have just check/called this flop.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:46 AM

the min raise is suspicious I think as played I would be sad but let it go.