Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 08:21 AM

Default Job Interview - what to wear?

I have a job interview later this week and I'm not sure what to wear. The headhunter who got me the interview says I should be wearing a suit (he's old school that way) but I'm not so sure.

The company I'm interviewing with considers themselves to be a 'hip' company. It's a marketing company with mostly young people working there, the office is a converted warehouse, they have a beer cart that comes around Friday afternoons, etc.

One of the reasons I'm giving for leaving my current job is a 'lack of cultural fit' - so I don't want to give the impression that I'm this stuffy banking type of guy (which I'm not). Any suggestions on what to wear? I was thinking about a suit with no tie, because someone this weekend told me that was a 'hip' thing to wear. I have no idea because I don't have any style myself. If I had to guess, I would say that the dress code in their office is likely jeans. The only caveat is that its for a Director position, so on the other hand I don't want to come off as a slob. Please help OOT.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Job Interview - what to wear?

Just be safe and wear a traditional suit. To emphasize that you would be a good fit for the company just wow them with your personality. Just because you dress in a suit does not mean you have to come across as a "banker type".
Old 06-04-2007, 08:28 AM

If it's a laid back company, you probably don't want to wear a suit at the risk of being overdressed.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's a laid back company, you probably don't want to wear a suit at the risk of being overdressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

being overdressed does much less damage than being underdressed.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

being overdressed does much less damage than being underdressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT.

Remember one of the things you are being judged for is judgment. It's presumptuous to come in a tie and shows poor judgment regarding how to act in formal and fairly high stakes business encounters. It's one thing for the CEO to be in jeans, or people who have worked there for a while, or guys doing physical jobs. They should know that you know the difference. How do they know you know how to make a good impression on their clients when you can't even muster one up for your own interview?

They can always picture you dressing down, but it's a lot harder to picture you dressing up.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I'm worried about. The 'safe' thing to do would be to wear a suit, but I think that what I wear could actually make a statement about my fit with the company.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:47 AM

I really have no experience in working for 'hip' companies, but I really can't see anyone not hiring someone because they wore a suit to an interview and not jeans, especially for an upper management position.

The suit with no tie might not be a bad way to go. I wouldn't dress anything less than that.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I'm worried about. The 'safe' thing to do would be to wear a suit, but I think that what I wear could actually make a statement about my fit with the company.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last place i worked i wore jeans and shirt to work, sneakers if i wanted. it was a hedge fund. the head trader would wear shorts for 1/2 the day.

I still wore a suit to the interview. Everyone I ever interviewed there or saw being interviewed wore a suit.

Suit up
Old 06-04-2007, 10:41 AM

as someone stated earlier, it's not a bad idea to be overdressed. even at laid back places, you might have to dress up to meet important clients, and it's not bad to show them you can do that.

if i were you, i'd go with suit no tie. that way when you get there and you feel super super overdressed, you can take off the coat, and you won't feel as overdressed.

i was at a small design firm as laid back as possible, and the only time we ever commented on how somone dressed for an interview were people who didn't dress up at all. i.e. jeans. and we were probably wearing jeans or shorts. we still wanted them to make a bit of effort.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:56 AM

Def wear a suit. If you get there and its obv your are over-dressed have a pre-prepared comment you can make about loving how they all wear jeans or sth when you are talking about how you would fit in.

Also given they are a hip firm go out buy a new shirt/tie which you look real balla in.

IMO the best advice on interviews...

Dont try to fulfill their expecations. Blow them out of the water. Make them KNOW you are hired and are excited about having you around. GL