Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 06:04 AM

Default 64-bit and hyperthreading question

How do I check if my processor is 64-bit or not? For whatever reason, I used to think it was 64-bit for sure. Now I'm not so sure and I'd like to check. Also, I've heard that hyperthreading is sometimes worse than no hyperthreading. Would you guys recommend that I leave it on or turn it off? Thanks.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:15 AM

Default Re: 64-bit and hyperthreading question

You'd know if your system was running at 64 bit. Most processors released in the last 2-3 years are capable of it. There is just no truly compelling reason to move to it on the desktop yet.

As for hyper threading, just leave it enabled. It doesn't really do any harm and it does boost overall performance by a small margin.

FYI - Dual Core+ systems have no HyperThreading technology, so that term will leave our lexicon over the next couple years.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:36 AM

actually, if I remember correctly, hyper-threading will be coming back.

What processor do you have? There is probably something to check in the bios to see if it is enabled or not.

Even if your processor supports it, your mobo may not.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:56 AM

Really? That seems, honestly, absurd. A HT CPU is only about 1.3-1.5x a normal CPU and dual core was the natural evolution of HT whereby its a full 2nd CPU. Its bad enough that a dual HT CPU server shows up as 4 logical processors when its really not true.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:13 PM

I found hte 64-bit part.. in the BIOS. Stupid me.

I have two separate 3.0 GHz Xeons, both with dual cores, and both have HyperThreading enabled in the BIOS (?). I guess I'll just leave them on for now. I wasn't sure if it divided up the processor's resources more this way or something.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I found hte 64-bit part.. in the BIOS. Stupid me.

I have two separate 3.0 GHz Xeons, both with dual cores, and both have HyperThreading enabled in the BIOS (?). I guess I'll just leave them on for now. I wasn't sure if it divided up the processor's resources more this way or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the same as I have. 2 dual core 3 gig Xeons with HT. 8 logical processors baby!!! Most of the Xeons are 64 bit. I like mine and they're a decent bit cheaper than the other server level dual and quad cores.

And to the person that mentioned hyperthreading coming back. HT is esentially in the first release of every new processor design. Take Pentium's quad core, it isn't a true quad core the last time I checked. I believe AMD's 4x4 will be the first TRUE quad core. True meaning 4 indep. cores on a single dye. Obviously this isn't the same technology as HT but some of the concepts are similar.

Sandwiched cores FTW!!
Old 06-01-2007, 01:56 PM

I was also wondering, why the [censored] is Vista 64-bit so slow? Is it my computer? Do I have a set of hardware that just doesn't work well with Vista? Or is it just Vista? Is there anyone else here running Vista 64-bit who thinks it's fast (as in more responsive than XP, or at least AS responsive)?
Old 06-02-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
actually, if I remember correctly, hyper-threading will be coming back.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will. Additionally, due to the design differences between core and netburst, it should actually produce a more significant performance boost this time around.