Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Mandalay hand vs The Tilly

Not a terribly interesting hand, but here it is:

20k starting chips. I have maybe 18 or 19k. I was super tight first level. During the second level I came out a little more aggressive, squeezing an MP open and LP call from the button. The next hand Jennifer Tilly open limped UTG, another limper in MP and I made it 1100 (100-200) from the CO, they both called my raise. Tilly led 2200 on a ragged 8 high flop, other guy folded, I made it 7200 and she folded.

Tilly has been probably the most active and aggressive player at the table. Limping and raising a lot. She's down to 11-12k to start this hand. This comes a couple orbits after those other hands. I've been relatively quiet since then just taking the blinds a couple times.

100-200 no ante, Tilly opens UTG+2 for 600, it folds to me in the SB and I call with TT, David Levi comes along from the BB.

1800 in the pot, flop is T75 with two spades. I lead 1300. I think this is pretty standard for me but comments are welcome. Levi folds, and Tilly calls.

I put Tilly on a fairly weak hand here (small pp, connector that paired, oesd, gutshot, overcards). If she has an overpair I'm pretty sure we're getting it in on the flop.

The turn is an offsuit Ace. 4400 in the pot, what's the plan? Lets assume she has 9.5k left in her stack (it was hard to see exactly since she had a lot of small chips and they were stacked weird).
Old 05-30-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Mandalay hand vs The Tilley

i think both check/raising and betting an amount to set up a less than pot size river shove are both fine ways to play this hand. i would generally bet again, something like 2800.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Mandalay hand vs The Tilly

I check that turn 100% of the time.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:58 PM
 is offline

Betting looks like a straight or 2-pair almost all the time. She sounds aggro enough to lose more chips even if that A missed her. If it didn't, I doubt she's good enough to get away with top-pair anyway when you CR.

If it gets checked through on the turn. I'd bet about 2/3 pot or so on the river.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check that turn 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't let a female donk that checks down Kings full see a free card here...

bet 1/2 pot...
Old 05-30-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(it was hard to see exactly since she had a lot of small chips and they were hidden behind her huge rack ).

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think a CR is in order. She's described as so aggro that she is gonna bet the turn most of the time. Its really a nice card for you.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:24 PM

I like betting a lot more than checking. A lot of people will check behind here if they paired the Ace, but few will fold an Ace to a bet. Leading also gives her room to make a big bluff or semi-bluff if she decides she wants to rep the Ace and avoids giving her a free card if she's on a draw.

If you check, she will often bluff or semi-bluff the Ace, but she's going to shut down if you check-raise, and your hand is too strong to play for bluff-catching value or to let her play for pot control.

The only reason I'd check is if I put her squarely on JJ-KK and thought she'd check the turn but call any river with these hands but would fold to a turn bet.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:35 PM

Foucault:

Do you really think JT falls into the category of those that will check the ace, regardless of her holding? Especially given Carl's description of her image and his?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:38 PM

vs Tilly I check/call the turn and CR the river because she's going broke with any piece

(edit: yes, I know the KK hand, but Tilly's not weak tight, she's more in the "I put you on something that makes no sense so I will make super weird plays for no reason" category)
Old 05-30-2007, 06:43 PM

I read all the replies wondering why everyone wanted to c/r the turn. Just c/c turn and check river again. If she checks turn through make a big bluffy looking bet on river.