Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 03:36 PM

Default NL200 - The tilt is close

Im stuck 5 buyins this session and then I have to deal with this hand. Villain is 16/11/2.4 on 600 hands and I dont really know if he's capable of doing this with AK. Anyway, what should I do pre, flop, turn, Im lost!!

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($196.70)
MP ($88)
Button ($286.10)
SB ($258.95)
BB ($173)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, MP calls $7, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $32</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $25, MP folds.

Flop: ($73) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $45</font>, Hero calls $45.

Turn: ($163) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks
Old 05-29-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: NL200 - The tilt is close

I might fold PF cause villian is a nit, his raise is too big to call for set value. Def folding flop here.

If you're 4 bet shoving with KK/AA here I could see an argument for doing it with QQ.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I might fold PF cause villian is a nit, his raise is too big to call for set value. Def folding flop here.

If you're 4 bet shoving with KK/AA here I could see an argument for doing it with QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree somewhat; if you call pf, you have to call flop bet, let turn check through and fold if bombs a river blank. basically, if you call pf, you're saying that a big part of his range is AK so you then have to call flop bet, assuming he'll shut down if he doenst have you beat after that.

As far as pf, you have to decide what type of 16/11 he is. If his pfr all come from raising in position and sometimes stealing from blinds when everyone limps, but he rarely 3 bets or squeezes, i dont have pf fold at all.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:50 PM

I read a good post about a week back where tufat said (in a similar situation)...

"You need to decided if the villian has AA/KK preflop before you move foward".

I think he has a valid point. Using that theory (if we decided the villian does not have AA/KK) we should A) 4-bet the villian preflop or the worst option B) call him down.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:51 PM

If I was stuck 5 buyins for a session then preflop is an auto push.

Seriously though, I'm not sure a 16/11 player 3-bets from the SB with hands other than QQ+/AK, so I don't mind a preflop fold. Of course, if you see a pattern of him squeezing then I like a preflop 4-bet.

I think if you call preflop with the thought that he plays AK/JJ/TT like this then you should just shove the flop.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I was stuck 5 buyins for a session then preflop is an auto push.

Seriously though, I'm not sure a 16/11 player 3-bets from the SB with hands other than QQ+/AK, so I don't mind a preflop fold. Of course, if you see a pattern of him squeezing then I like a preflop 4-bet.

I think if you call preflop with the thought that he plays AK/JJ/TT like this then you should just shove the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

My range the last few months has been from 16/11 to 17/13 and I 3bet here with less than AK on a semi-regular basis. But I usually only do it against those who abuse the button (28%+ steal percentage). My moral there is that stats don't tell the whole story.

But this brings up another point, what were you running like at the table? If you were nitty he likely has the goods here, otherwise you can possibly put him on a wider range.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:37 PM

I like how you played it so far. I check turn behind against this player as I only want to bet if I am happy to get it in and against this nit I am not. On river I will call a lot of possible bet sizes but will fold to some say if he say shoves or his timing convinces me he has AA or KK.

If an Ace or King rivers then I am far less likley to call anything though.

Perfect spot for some pot control.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:43 PM

yeah i don't hate a pot control line here
but unless an A or K hits the river im calling a push. if he checks the river again im betting something like 60-80 to get some extra monies from TT and JJ
Old 05-29-2007, 05:50 PM

When you get 3-bet by a tight OOP opponent preflop with Queens, you have to be doing so with a plan for the flop. He either has AA/KK or he doesn't (I guess I'm paraphasing tufat here, but hey what can I say, he's right this time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ).

If you think AK is in his 3bet range preflop, then the preflop call is fine but you must raise this flop. If you don't think AK is in his range then you can only call for set value. 999 times in 1000, AK I figure AK is in his range. Usually a lot of other hands, too.

I'd be raising this flop.