Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Help with squat related problems

So I've been reading about Rippetoe's starting strength and was psyched to start out last tuesday. Signed up for an hour of coaching to have someone watch my form as I went through the different excercises for the first time.

I started out with the squat. All three squat racks were occupied, two by squatters and one by a biceps curling, pony-tailed guido, lol. So i grab a barbell, fairly light weigth and start squatting.

Problem: I CAN'T PERFORM A CORRECT SQUAT.

Part of the problem is probably with my balance. But the biggest issue seemed to be that my calfs and shins are too tight, i am not agile enough.

Also, he told me I should build up some strength before attemting deadlifts and powercleans.

Heres the program he gave me. The illustrations are scanned from the program he gave me, and the order is the way he recommended doing them. He made the program on a computer where he could easily regroup the different excersises, so I believe he didn't give me the generic "weight" program.

10-15 mins on the bike.

This is the one legged squat. 3 sets of 10 reps. (All excercises are 3 x 10)

Abs is a variety of excercises, 7sets x 15 reps

-----------

So what do you think of this program, and what can I do to be able to do real squats? Please help.

Oh and The coach said to do this 3 times a week and add in a day of cardio as well.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Help with squat related problems

It wasn't entirely clear if you've read Starting Strength or not, but if you have, you should stick with the program given within it.

I'm not sure what your goals are exactly, but if you'd say anything like "being stronger", then you want to stick with Starting Strength. It's a great starting point.

You have to squat. You must practice squatting until you can do it well. There is absolutely no substitute exercise. Unless you want to post a video of your form or something, it's hard to give specific adice that wouldn't be already covered in the book, or a variety of other places. Practice, practice, practice.

You don't need to wait until you're stronger to deadlift. Deadlifting will *make* you strong, just start light. Always start light.

Powercleaning, unless you have someone to teach you proper form, you do want to be careful with. Practice with very light weights until your form is excellent.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:57 PM

Powercleans are great, but so many people do them wrong by pulling way too much with their arms, and moving their feet too much. You should be able to squat with light weights. You just need to find a stance that you're comfortable with, and keep your back flat. Box squats might help if your gym has a box you can use, because they emphasize sitting back instead of sitting down which is the proper way to squat.

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/ls32.htm
Old 05-28-2007, 06:53 PM

Half A Dog,

I've not read starting strength, just read about the program. The goals with my training would be to put on some muscle, and to cut my gut.

mmctrab,

*from the article you linked*

What does it take to develop a great squat? First you must develop the hips, hamstrings, spinal erectors, glutes, and abs. Without a strong posterior chain (the muscles on the back of the body), you will not sit back into the proper squat position. That’s right. Sit back, never down.

It might be my reading comprehension, but I don't understand what is meant by "sit back, never down"
Old 05-28-2007, 07:07 PM

I'm not an expert, but you should at least be able to start doing body squats. I don't know why that guy would stick you in a leg press machine.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not an expert, but you should at least be able to start doing body squats. I don't know why that guy would stick you in a leg press machine.

[/ QUOTE ]

If his soleus (calf muscle that is not the gastrocnemius) is too tight, he simply can't perform squats properly. He should be stretching out his calves, but he should certainly not be squatting with weight.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Half A Dog,

I've not read starting strength, just read about the program. The goals with my training would be to put on some muscle, and to cut my gut.

mmctrab,

*from the article you linked*

What does it take to develop a great squat? First you must develop the hips, hamstrings, spinal erectors, glutes, and abs. Without a strong posterior chain (the muscles on the back of the body), you will not sit back into the proper squat position. That’s right. Sit back, never down.

It might be my reading comprehension, but I don't understand what is meant by "sit back, never down"

[/ QUOTE ]

It means what it says. Don't think about lowering yourself, think about moving your glutes backward. This is why box squatting is so helpful.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:50 AM

I looked up box squat and found this pic:

If I have a relatively wide stance, and point my feet outward like this guy:

then I'm able to squat. Yay! I'm going to the gym later tonight, will try it out with just the bar.

Thanks to all who've replied so far. It's appreciated.