Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2007, 10:03 PM

Default HU SNG Questions.... i\'m trying to improve.

I've been playing HU PLO8 since late December and i'm currently playing the 20s. My ROI is 11% and very close to 12... (was 12 yesterday before i lost 5 str8).
It would probably be a lot better if i didn't play HORSE and HOldem sngs and mtts that im not as good at.

Anyways, I'm trying to get better and i'm close to playing the 30s.
I have never looked at Hand Histories before and was thinking of starting to do this along with using a calculator to analyze the games i've lost.

Does anyone here use HHs to help improve their HU Sng play?
What else can I use to help improve my play?
Old 05-27-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Re: HU SNG Questions.... i\'m trying to improve.

Reading HHs has made me over 20k.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reading HHs has made me over 20k.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok so you are who i need to talk to then...
I'm figuring that if i started out this good, then there is plenty of room to improve. I've played about 1500 or so games and never once requested a HH

I have no clue how that even works.

After the game is over what exactly do you do to get them?
Old 05-27-2007, 10:55 PM

Think about WHY your opponents do what they do. Most people have reasons for their actions, and if you can figure out these reasons, HU SNGs are a piece of cake b.c. the opponent is all yours - he cannot leave, the guy next to you can't bust him, etc.

Then think about what YOU can do to influence his actions. Much easier said than done, of course, but HU SNGs go way beyond hand histories, which are obviously crucial for fundamentals, odds, EV...the basic stuff that will allow you to win as long as your opponents suck more than you.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Think about WHY your opponents do what they do. Most people have reasons for their actions, and if you can figure out these reasons, HU SNGs are a piece of cake b.c. the opponent is all yours - he cannot leave, the guy next to you can't bust him, etc.

Then think about what YOU can do to influence his actions. Much easier said than done, of course, but HU SNGs go way beyond hand histories, which are obviously crucial for fundamentals, odds, EV...the basic stuff that will allow you to win as long as your opponents suck more than you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you can glean a lot from hand histories that doesnt have anything to do with basic math. If you look at ONE showdown you get to see a ton of villains insight and get a peak at his psychology, after an entire match if you look at every showdown you should be able to understand how your villain thinks about poker. Furthermore I think studying every decision and considering every option (including options you didnt make during a match) you can basically learn everything there is to know. If you want to take standard lines all the time you dont need to do this but you will never be the best player you can either, until you start thinking about everything how could you ever know whats best?
Old 05-28-2007, 04:15 AM

You see a lot more (especially if you're not the most super attentive person in the world and are just learning a new game ala HU) in the details of the matches, the specific problems you ahd when reading a HH than during the flow of the match. Eventually what you read in the HH starts to become second nature during the match and you pick up on a much higher % of details to where making a mistake is not something that is fixed most of the time from reading the HH but right after you make the mistake. There are still always going to be rare times when you truly cannot figure out or miss a play and do not realize it, that is what posting hands in this forum and focusing are for.

I don't read as many HHs as I used to, but I still read some (not as many as I should). If you have a half hour to devote to it a day that should be more than enough to learn a lot in a short amount of time.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:48 PM

I forgot to mention that it is even more crucial to have a hand history viewer open as you play, especially when trying to aggressively learn. I'd estimate the ability to do this adds at least 5 pts to my ROI.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I forgot to mention that it is even more crucial to have a hand history viewer open as you play, especially when trying to aggressively learn. I'd estimate the ability to do this adds at least 5 pts to my ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you mean? So you can watch the HH of the game you are currently playing, or another game? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2007, 04:11 PM

Current game - it basically acts as a virtual memory, and compensates for the fact that I don't have the ability to fully memorize the action of every street of every hand. Information = profit of course.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What programs are good for this?