Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 04:18 AM

Default Interesting 50-100 AK hand

This hand took place in a HOE 50-100 game and was interesting. My image is tight but that my best game is holdem. I've been more agro in this round than the others. I can play the other games good, but not as confidently as I play holdem and I think the others know it / have picked up on it.

Anyway, the other players are playing pretty snug on the holdem rounds. A limper and a raise from the CO. Villain is decent agro. He's not dumb, but I'd play him holdem till I was broke. He's picked up on me running over the table in holdem raising pf and dragging uncalled smoked flop / turn bets / pots.

I 3 bet AKo from the SB, folded back to villain, he calls, we're h/u.

I smoke a Flop of Q x x, he calls.

I smoke a turn of Q x x x, he calls.

I smoke a river Q x x x 8, he calls.

Comments?
Old 05-22-2007, 04:32 AM

Default Results

Some real interesting thoughts on this hand I'll post later. Don't know if it'll get any feedback, as I'm not of of the annoited few, but there was some higher level thinking going into the river. We'll see.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Results

I kind of need to know what the x's are on the flop and turn. And I need to know why the 8 was more important than the x's to annotate. And I need to know if the board was rainbow. And I wonder why you included the action of him calling the river.

Also, I don't think it's that bad. The river is a tough spot because if you check you're a bigger underdog when he bets. So I don't like c/c; on the other hand I don't see him ever folding a better hand, so you only want to get looked up by worse A-highs. It's close between b/f and c/f on the river for me.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Results

the Xs are 3 cards below an 8 that dont make a straight

c/r the river
Old 05-22-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Real Results

I posted because we talked about the hand later and the plan we each had going into the BB streets was interesting poker.

What set up our plans here was a hand we tangled on earlier. He had o/r'd from LP steal spot. I call in the SB with A2o. Flop AKQ ch/ch. Turn K I bet, he raises I call. River x I ch/c and he says "you're good" without showing.

In this hand I knew my raising/smoking was looking like I was on auto pilot. So I planned to 3 bet any turn. It's spewy for sure. But in cases like this when you're engaged in playing each other more than the hands, it figures in the mix as a strong play that gets you paid off good.

He had called the turn here planning on changing it up and bluff raising any river. He ended up just calling it because he hit his pair. I only remembered the 8 because his A8 was good.

Don't know if this is boring to others, but it's these type of hands I find the most interesting. We're past the pot odds stage, playing for decent money and play a lot of hands based on whatever skills/tricks we think we have and can win the money.

Haven't looked at any yet, but tx for the responses.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Real Results

[ QUOTE ]
What set up our plans here was a hand we tangled on earlier. He had o/r'd from LP steal spot. I call in the SB with A2o. Flop AKQ ch/ch. Turn K I bet, he raises I call. River x I ch/c and he says "you're good" without showing.
[\quote]

This guy sounds terrible.

I would
a) quit talking strat advice with him
b) vb this river with AT UI and not feel the need to post about it.
c)not feel so damn smart cuz I figured out that I should show down mediocre hands against guys who put in too much action.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In this hand I knew my raising/smoking was looking like I was on auto pilot. So I planned to 3 bet any turn. It's spewy for sure. But in cases like this when you're engaged in playing each other more than the hands, it figures in the mix as a strong play that gets you paid off good.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a big difference between being sorta indifferent/semi-happy when he raises and actually going ahead and 3-barreling.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a big difference between being sorta indifferent/semi-happy when he raises and actually going ahead and 3-barreling.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I'm getting from all this is that he's not really playing this hand (although his AK makes it a lot easier to do what he's doing) so much as he's playing his opponent, the past and the future.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What I'm getting from all this is that he's not really playing this hand (although his AK makes it a lot easier to do what he's doing) so much as he's playing his opponent, the past and the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? What I'm getting is that he's running well and vastly overrating his ability level.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Interesting 50-100 AK hand

Isn't this a classic situation where betting unimproved AK on the end has to be wrong. If he calls, you've lost...if he raises, you can't call (and 3-bet bluffing the river looks horribly, horribly wrong), if you're ahead then c/c will pick up an extra bet (if he correctly value bets his marginal hand). If the 'x's are all the same card (e.g. Q4448), then he probably has small pockets and is letting you bluff the whole way and extracting the max # of chips from you. If the 'x's are different, then we need to know what they are to provide meaningful analysis.

[ QUOTE ]
He's not dumb, but I'd play him holdem till I was broke.

[/ QUOTE ]
I found this line particularly amusing. Ideally, he'd be the one going broke.