Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2007, 11:43 AM

Default The wondrous, non-coercive philosophy of anarcho-capitalism

Guys,

AC's on here frequently compare their "non-coercive" philosophy with that of organized government, no matter how small.

Please: Give this podcast a listen and judge for yourself.

http://www.freedomainradio.com/Traff...e_beasts32.mp3

The speaker is Stefan Molyneux, anarcho-capitalist and host of freedomainradio.com.

The whole podcast is about 20 minutes long, but you can get right to the meat by starting at at 8 min, 0 seconds (Begins with "However, the stateless society goes much, much further in preventing crime..."). This will give you an excellent look at the peaceful, non-coercive nature of AC.

The stuff from 9 min, 0 seconds (beginning "Suppose that you wake up one morning and decide to become a thief...") is especially enlightening.

Note: if you are an AC who argues against government because you are forced to participate whether or not you want to, you owe it to yourself to listen to this.

Hope you guys find this as informative as I did.

Best regards,
Jogger
Old 05-19-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: The wondrous, non-coercive philosophy of anarcho-capitalism

Those voluntary solutions to problems are very enlightening. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:15 PM

Which part did you like better? The part where he talked about identifying people who "are going to become" criminals? Or the part about forcing a wife to choose between divorcing their husbands and relocating if the husband drops out of the (voluntary, heh) DRO system, or losing her own coverage and consequently being unable to buy groceries.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:58 PM

Please state your specific objections.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:11 PM

Honestly at this point I'd rather people just listened and made their own judgments.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:16 PM

That's not a very statist philosophy.. people making their own judgments? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2007, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Which part did you like better? The part where he talked about identifying people who "are going to become" criminals? Or the part about forcing a wife to choose between divorcing their husbands and relocating if the husband drops out of the (voluntary, heh) DRO system, or losing her own coverage and consequently being unable to buy groceries.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I am concerned as an ACist Stefan M. is a megalomaniac. He is a cotrol freak who secretly lusts for power. He also fronts like he is an expert on a whole range of topics. Like most megalo's he is very charming and charismatic. He also has a few people on that site who are devoted to him to a degree that is beyond reasonable. Some aspects of him and his site and a few of his followers actually cult-like behavior.

He does not speak for me in any way, shape, or form.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I am concerned as an ACist Stefan M. is a megalomaniac. He is a cotrol freak who secretly lusts for power. He also fronts like he is an expert on a whole range of topics. Like most megalo's he is very charming and charismatic. He also has a few people on that site who are devoted to him to a degree that is beyond reasonable. Some aspects of him and his site and a few of his followers actually cult-like behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

OH NOES, I FOUND AN ACIST WHO SAYS SOME STUFF THAT SOUNDS SORT OF UNCOMFORTABLE!!! ERGO AC IS A SYSTEM THAT IS ALL ABOUT MAKING PEOPLE DO BAD THINGS!!!! QED!!!1!

Hey guys, I found a state that is "bad". Therefore, we can conclude that statism is always going to be exactly like this!!!

Old 05-20-2007, 12:58 PM

<font color="red"> "hmm, this podcast really does sound pretty awful... i better do some damage control, hopefully convince people not to listen. but how...? ah, i know! i'll try to discredit it. guess i should go for sarcasm - better turn on caps-lock too, to make it sound exaggerated. okay, here goes..."

"guess i'll open with some l337, that sounds ridiculous, maybe it'll cue the laughter"
</font>

[ QUOTE ]
OH NOES,

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"> "good start, good start. now what? ah yes, i better make it sound like molyneux is out of the mainstream of ac's... but sh*t! how can i do that? he hosts freedomainradio for chrissakes! hmm... ah-hah! i know! i'll just minimize! i'll refer to him as 'an acist', with no emphasis at all, that should make him seem unimportant!"</font>

[ QUOTE ]
I FOUND AN ACIST

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">"now, what about the awful, dystopian picture of ac he was spouting on that podcast? god damn him for making us look so bad... maybe i can minimize again here? it'll be stupidly transparent, but that thing was so bad i guess i better give it a shot, hope this works!"</font>

[ QUOTE ]
WHO SAYS SOME STUFF THAT SOUNDS SORT OF UNCOMFORTABLE!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">"lol, i hope they fall for that. i should probably tie it together somehow... ah sure, i'll make a completely spurious argument that has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP. as long as my readers are stupid as hell, that should work!"</font>

[ QUOTE ]
ERGO AC IS A SYSTEM THAT IS ALL ABOUT MAKING PEOPLE DO BAD THINGS

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">"now a little more l337, keep 'em distracted, keep 'em distracted"</font>

[ QUOTE ]
!!!! QED!!!1!

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">"cool. now, for the coup de grace, i'll close with a specious formal analogy, and I've got just the one in mind:

dictatorship:democracy :: ac:ac

Yep, that's it:

'dictatorship is to democracy as AC is to AC'

jesus, now how the
hell am i gonna sell that?

hmm, well, as long as readers don't employ their analytical abilities whatsoever, i've at least got a chance to fool 'em! still, since my false analogy is so completely transparent, i better heap some more sh*t on my pile. what to do, what to do... ah! i know! i'll use another specious argument - if i keep 'em coming fast and furious, maybe people really won't actually think about what i'm saying."
</font>

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys, I found a state that is "bad". Therefore, we can conclude that statism is always going to be exactly like this!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">"finally i'll throw in a picture of a dictator, pictures are distracting - and heck, the guy behind him has on shiny buttons, which is even more distracting! this should really make a hash of things"</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Hey PVN:

Yeah, you fooled us.

Nice hand.

Best regards,
Jogger</font>
Old 05-20-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Me either. If AC ever comes to pass, I hope it's a far cry from what he envisions.