Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 09:04 AM

Default Playing Behind a Poster

Online small stakes game, you can put the stakes anywhere you want. The table is playing somewhere between megaloose and ultratight, with all of the players either betting, folding, or raising most of the time. In other words, reads are unimportant.

In each hand, an unknown player has posted in the CO & checked after it was folded to him. No other players are as of yet voluntarily involved in the pot.

-We are on the Button with two tarot cards. Action?

-Now we're in the SB. Same action as before except the Button has folded. We look down at a hand rankings card & a Mickey Mantle rookie card. Action?

-Last but not least, we're in the BB. Button and SB have both folded. We're too busy surfing thru pr0n to even know what our cards are. Action?

Hint: your answer should be the same in every scenario.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Playing Behind a Poster

Raise. For spite. If it's folded around to you in the CO or later do you even need to look at your cards before raising? I submit "no!" We must spite this poster for his idiocy and punish his weakness.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:42 AM

I think this is an easy raise from the button, and from BB. I'm not so sure about from the SB.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is an easy raise from the button, and from BB. I'm not so sure about from the SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more in this boat. In your example though, I raise the SB because Mantle is the nuts!
Old 05-18-2007, 03:32 PM

Your hint suggests to me that we should be raising in all 3 situations.

So, you would presumably raise with any 2 cards from SB as you would do that from the button.

Edit: Ah, I think I can see why you might prefer to have at least one high ranking card to raise from the SB. You will be OOP if the BB calls/re-raises.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:37 PM

when i'm in the SB it would matter to me how the BB played.

besides that i'm raising the stakes to play.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does matter to some extent in this case, and also from the Button if one or both of the blinds are superloose calling stations, or superaggressive LAGs (and your table image ain't so hot). But even then I'm mostly raising.

I just see sooooo many people either limp behind the poster in these situations or check their option in the BB, and every time I see it I want to reach through my monitor and slap some sense into them. 2.5 SBs already in the pot, nobody has shown any indication that they want them, and it'll only cost you somewhere between 1 & 2 SBs to get them, sometimes a third when you get called & have to bet the flop (but then you get an extra SB for your efforts).
Old 05-19-2007, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does matter to some extent in this case, and also from the Button if one or both of the blinds are superloose calling stations, or superaggressive LAGs (and your table image ain't so hot). But even then I'm mostly raising.

I just see sooooo many people either limp behind the poster in these situations or check their option in the BB, and every time I see it I want to reach through my monitor and slap some sense into them. 2.5 SBs already in the pot, nobody has shown any indication that they want them, and it'll only cost you somewhere between 1 & 2 SBs to get them, sometimes a third when you get called & have to bet the flop (but then you get an extra SB for your efforts).

[/ QUOTE ]

from the SB we have the worst position possible postflop. BUT, given that we are first to act that gives us the first "right to bluff" which is usually what it takes to win most of these things on the flop after being the preflop aggressor. so i guess the positional concerns are mitigated somewhat.

as for everything else you said, i agree 100%. i actually had a post on this a while back where i raised K7o or something from the BB versus a CO poster. i phrased the question in terms of what "range" i should be raising.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:08 AM

I got thinking about the subject when I had this situation come up the other night, and I raised 32o from the BB. The poster called & folded to my c-bet on an 885 flop. But anyway, yeah, that pretty much sums up my "range". [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got thinking about the subject when I had this situation come up the other night, and I raised 32o from the BB. The poster called & folded to my c-bet on an 885 flop. But anyway, yeah, that pretty much sums up my "range". [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i might tighten up to 42o and 23s from the SB, though.