Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 03:10 PM

Default What do you fear?

What things do you fear?

Flying:

Until recently, I was deathly afraid to fly and I actually had reoccuring nightmares for many years that I would die in a plane crash, specifically, while on-board a 747.

During this time, and over much of my career, I had a 9 to 5 and my alarm clock was always set to go off at 8:00am, but I would find myself waking up out of the blue and looking at the clock....at 7:47. This typically freaked me out.

Up until my first trip last year to Shanghai, I had only flown 3 previous times. Once in a Cessena 4 seater that had to fly in circles to build up enough altitude to clear mountains and twice on DC-10's (one to Portland, once to Vegas).

The Cessena trip was when I was fairly young and may have contributed to my fear.

The DC-10 trip to Portland was with a co-worker who flew 3 times a week for business. He was quoted after the flight as having said "This is by far the worse flight I have ever been on". I think at one point we dead-dropped 700ft. due to turpulance (sp?). This did not help my fear at all.

The third trip was to Vegas and by this time, I knew better then to get on sober. I do not remember this flight.

And then of course the 2 trips to Shanghai, where a 747 is basically your only choice (United). This freaked me out for several days leading up to the trip. But, I lived, and I suppose the rest is history as after that first trip on the 747, and not having died, my fear seemed to be instantly eliminated.

I am no longer affraid to fly.

Heights:

I have a very large fear of heights that seems to be progressing over the years.

It is not to the point that even on the second floor of a parking structure, I cannot look over the edge. I basically have to 'sneak up' on it and slide over to take a peak.

This get progressively worse the higher I get of course and for instance, if I am in a hi-rise building with those windows that extend all the way to your feet...I can not go near them. I can't even sit in a chair next to them without feeling anxious.

But, for some reason, I love roller-coasters and have no fear of any part of them, including the clank-clank-clank ride to the top. I believe that this has something to due with the fact that you are securly strapped in.

I am not sure if there is anything that I can or would ever do to eliminate this fear....other then avoiding it.

What do you fear?
Old 05-17-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: What do you fear?

I don't much like heights if I don't have a rail/barrier.

Like if i was at the top of a big building just standing over the edge, I'd prolly pass out, lol.

But if there is a railing there, I wouldn't think twice about it.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:57 PM

Heights: I need to get sloshed/sedated in order to fly w/o sweating/jerking around like a nuthead.

Illness toward loved ones. Hasn't happened so far, but I would be devastated.

Approaching hot women: I am not very smooth, and so it is difficult to have a natural convesration w/o being very selfconscious, so I get scared, and pee a little in my pants.

Snakes/Rats/Nasty Looking Creatures; if it looks like somethiing you dont want to pet, or something that may bite (and have unhealthy repercussions), or has a mind of its own (unpredictable) I sue as hell am scared of it.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:04 PM

Fire.

It's really embarrassing on dates when we go to outdoor concerts or grill. I can't light a match without jumping back and screaming like a 6 year old girl.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fire.

It's really embarrassing on dates when we go to outdoor concerts or grill. I can't light a match without jumping back and screaming like a 6 year old girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

so then you were some variation of this guy?:

FIRE

Barron
Old 05-17-2007, 05:27 PM

I think I've got a case of ballistophobia (fear of projectiles.) Sometimes if I'm in a room with some friends and they're tossing around a football/baseball/whatever, it's really tough for me to enjoy myself. I'm a little bit paranoid that someone's going to make a bad throw and hit me in the face or something.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:13 PM

B,

Heights is really the only main one for me.

Oh, also not being able to breathe and various suffocation/choking/running out of oxygen/trapped themes. Basically the feeling of not being able to get a full breath of air into my lungs is the most horrible thing. Yet I can hold my breath no problem and it doesn't bother me at all. But shortness of breath super bothers me. Hmmm, I guess it's a control thing, that's the difference.

I have flown tons and it doesn't bother me at all, even though during takeoffs and landings I often think we're about to plummet to our deaths. Really doesn't bother me at all and I just read my book or sleep or whatever.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Heights is really the only main one for me.

Oh, also not being able to breathe and various suffocation/choking/running out of oxygen/trapped themes.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too, basically heights and claustrophobia. diablo, fyi: if you go to Giza, don't do the crawl through the interior of the great pyramid. it's 150 degrees and you're in a coffin size tunnel you need to army crawl your way through under a mountain of 5 thousand year old rock formation. bad times for claustrophobic kbz.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:51 PM

Fear itself.

oh and wasps
Old 05-17-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fear itself.

oh and wasps

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, lol, I forgot about bees. I can't deal with them at all. I start swinging.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]