Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Going broke with AK, top pair @ NL10 (how to avoid?)

I had no reads:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG+1 ($1.85)
MP1 ($7.63)
MP2 ($9.80)
CO ($13.23)
Button ($9.55)
SB ($7.97)
Hero ($10)
UTG ($12.38)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $0.40, MP2 calls $0.40, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.30.

Flop: ($1.65) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $2</font>, Hero raises $9.90 (All-In), UTG folds, MP2 calls $9.80 (All-In).

Turn: ($24.35) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($24.35) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $24.35

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ad Kh (one pair, aces).
MP2 has 4d 3d (straight, five high).
Outcome: MP2 wins $24.35. </font>

In retrospect I hate my preflop play but while I played the Hand i was afraid the raiser from first position would reraise with AA/KK/QQ/JJ/AK/? which i couldn't call(after commiting lots of chips allready).
Is the c/r all in spewing here? I wanted the original raiser to c-bet and maybe get called by a weaker ace (I thought i had the best hand on this flop).

/p.s.: I just recently tried to move up from 5nl(I could beat that level well) to 10nl but I'm getting butchered there.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Going broke with AK, top pair @ NL10 (how to avoid?)

[ QUOTE ]

Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $9.90 (All-In)

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? You mean you raised all-in? Or MP2 raised all-in? Something is wrong with that HH.

In NL10, I am afraid you can't really avoid this or perhaps you can and I am just bad. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

edit: maybe you should just raise more pre-flop if they aren't respecting your raises at all. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2007, 06:39 PM

I think you know the answer. Re-pop it pre-flop to $2 so that 34s hands don't get the right odds to call against you. After that it's pretty much always right to get it in on the flop.

I also probably lead this flop with 4 players in.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you know the answer. Re-pop it pre-flop to $2 so that 34s hands don't get the right odds to call against you. After that it's pretty much always right to get it in on the flop.

I also probably lead this flop with 4 players in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I have no idea of how to play AK correctly, my pokertracker stats for AK are even in red numbers.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:31 PM

If UTG does re-raise then you can figure you're behind, and fold/shove as you see fit (fold generally better). There's nothing wrong with folding AK to a 4-bet especially at full-ring. So you lose $2, big deal. Alternatively you can lose your stack as above.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:48 AM

Hello illph,

By 'raising more' I meant bigger amounts and no, I wasn't joking about anything.

And you actually played it fine, I'd be quite sure that I have the best hand on that flop and hope that I got someone's big ace dominated ( AQ, AJ ).

Good luck!
Old 05-15-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $9.90 (All-In)

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? You mean you raised all-in? Or MP2 raised all-in? Something is wrong with that HH.

In NL10, I am afraid you can't really avoid this or perhaps you can and I am just bad. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

edit: maybe you should just raise more pre-flop if they aren't respecting your raises at all. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed, converter screwed up.

What do you mean by this last sentence? raise more= raise more often(like in this spot) or raise more in terms of $? Or are you just joking à la "move up where they respect your raises?"
Old 05-15-2007, 06:40 PM

Reraise preflop.

Standard, no real way to avoid getting stacked here IMO, unless you have a sick read.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:05 AM

10NL at Party is my regular home I have played nearly 50k hands at this level (yes sick I know).

This situation is one I faced a few times on the Flop and in my opinion you’re probably behind. Hands that beat you include the following;
A5 ,2 to make 2pair, which will call a 4xbb PFR at this level a lot of the time, people love to play any A at this level no mater how dominated they could end up.
AA possible but unlikely, it’s not unknown for someone to play in such a way. More likely is 55 or 22.
The least likely is 3 4, but it does and will happen. If you have poker HUD and some stats on this player you may or may not include this hand in his range but most time even at Party10NL most villains won’t call a PFR with small suited connectors.

Now on to the hands you beat that are likely to have re-raised on the flop;
MP 2 has called a PFR and re-raised on the flop. This play could also stink of AK (split) or an AQ, J maybe T, but you have to be bad to re-raise on this flop.
Some of the better player will semi bluff and push Flush Draws like KQ, KJ, KT, QJ of Clubs expecting a fold more 60% of the time.

To me in this situation I would say you’re behind more that in front but not by much. If you’re single tabling just try to put some thought into Villains betting patterns. When faced with such a call to put all your chips in just stop and have a think what worse hands will call you if you can’t think or any spring to mind then fold. It can’t be any better or worse than EV neutral, At least until your hand reading skills get better as they will if you keep practicing.

Once you start to think of your game a little bit more 10NL become pretty easy to beat. Players have a lot of leaks in these games if you have less than them you will win more money than them.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:10 AM

3 betting preflop is a good start.