Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Pokerstars Froze my account

After getting a 10 billionth hand promo email for PS I finally decided to set up up a PS account to at least clear a couple of deposit bonus's.

Set up the account, funded it with my VISA card no problems.

I'm a BRITISH citizen who holds a US Green card (permanant resident)

I'm away from my home base in the USA right now so I thought what the hell I'll use my old UK VISA card.
It's in good standing, my credit history is clean etc.

Account funded no problem, I play for a couple of days. Get close to clearing the 1st $50 initial bonus then bam I'm frozen until I fax them my credit card, drivers license, utility bills, pound of flesh, mothers heirlooms etc.

Anyone else had this happen?
This is total BS and I would not have funded the account this way had I known. They didn't let me know up front this would be required.

It's just like those scammy sports betting sites that let you deposit then freeze the money until various conditions are met.

These are conditions I do not agree with in the first place. Seeing as I'd have to send these details off from a public locale right now I will not comply with them for at least 1 month.

Totally bad form from PS to pull this crap.

They need to be upfront about this kind of thing. I feel like I've been tricked by a site which is supposed to be reputable
Old 05-13-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Pokerstars Froze my account

1) You should know if you're a long time reader of these forums prior to registering, that there is a much greater likelihood of problems in using credit cards online at any type of site from an IP located in a different country than that where the cc was issued, and thus that these types of inquiries are standard.

2) You are acting like they are trying to steal your money. Once they get the docs they will unlock your account if your story is straight up, and if you request/need extra time to clear your bonus because of time lost when the account was frozen, it is highly likely they will grant that request.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:58 PM

I'm expected to go to a public unknown computer shop and just send off copies of my credit card/drivers license and utility bills.
It seems like that causes more of a security risk then the one they are supposed to be protecting.
Furthermore I'm 1,000's of miles away from home and I'm expected to provide them with utility bills as well?

My point is they did not need any of these items upfront and did not detail the fact that they would be required BEFORE I made the initial deposit.

Who can blame them? There is no chance I would even think about depositing if they were HONEST and UPFRONT about their policies.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:03 PM

Here's a novel idea: Contact Stars before you deposit and tell them that you are a UK citizen living in the US with a green card, and you want to deposit using an old UK credit card that's still in force, but hasn't been used for some time.

If they say, "sure, go ahead," then lock your account, you might have something to complain about.

As it went down, cheers for Pokerstars.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:07 PM

did you even read the terms and conditions? check out sections 3, 4.5, 6
Old 05-13-2007, 06:11 PM

Well my UK credit card gets used regularly, so that's no reason.
However going back to the top....

Let's pretend I've never had a Pokerstars account and never had to provide all this info in order to make a deposit on a poker site. I used the same card to fund my Fulltilt account in the same manner with no problem whatsoever.

Shouldn't they let me know in advance all this stuff will be required?
Isn't it underhanded to get the cash then hold it hostage?
Old 05-13-2007, 06:17 PM

lucky,

They have these procedures to prevent fraud, both against their players, and against 3rd parties whose cc numbers might have been stolen. These kind of things are standard not only for your situation, but in situations regarding removing large sums of money. Now some sites/networks justifiably have a bad rep for long delays and hassles in processing docs like Prima. But stars isn't one of those. And sending those docs via fax is highly unlikely to cause an problems. As to the utility bill, if you don't have one because you don't rent an apartment and live in some extended stay suite or something, then CALL them and tell them that.

Or you can just continue bitching here and it will all take longer. This is a one time deal and after that you won't have to worry about it.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm expected to go to a public unknown computer shop and just send off copies of my credit card/drivers license and utility bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any site who didn't lock your account would be insane. Also, wtf, public computer? So you planned to play poker there or withdraw money from the site on a public computer and your plans are ruined now? ...and if you weren't going to play there or withdraw until later then verify your documents.....later? Sorry, but you're totally in the wrong here so calm down.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:32 PM

okay, so if some 3rd party stole your credit card and sent it to his friends in the States, it looks like those dummies at Stars will flag the transaction, but FTP will allow them to scam your money.

Okay, so you weren't concerned about the security of using another computer to actually give the credit card information to allow a transaction to take place. But now, you are concerned with security when it comes to giving the back up information like a utility bill.

SO which is the biggest security risk? The initial transaction or a utility bill and ID, ect. ?

Hahahaha. You are a tard.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
okay, so if some 3rd party stole your credit card and sent it to his friends in the States, it looks like those dummies at Stars will flag the transaction, but FTP will allow them to scam your money.

Okay, so you weren't concerned about the security of using another computer to actually give the credit card information to allow a transaction to take place. But now, you are concerned with security when it comes to giving the back up information like a utility bill.

SO which is the biggest security risk? The initial transaction or a utility bill and ID, ect. ?

Hahahaha. You are a tard.

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent logic except obviously I have my own laptop which is secure and would have to use a public computer in a store to do the scan using their scanner/fax etc.
I don't mind being called a tard but please get your facts right or you'll sound like an idiot.