Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 06:27 AM

Default Using \'The Deuce\' to get around LV

I know this is the B+M forum, but I didn't know which other forum to post in.

I will be going to Vegas this weekend and am staying in Downtown to save money. I was thinking about using The Deuce to get from Fremont St. to The Strip.

Deuce

I would probably get the $5 24 hr pass.

For those who have used The Deuce before, how was your experience?

The wait per bus is ~8-10 minutes. Is there any problem getting a seat (do you have to wait for multiple buses before finding one that has open seats)?

The site said that it would take ~1 hr to go from Excaliber to Downtown. Does that sound right?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:36 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?
Default Re: Using \'The Deuce\' to get around LV

I have no personal knowledge, but understand the passengers on the duece would fit in well at Moss Isely spaceport.

There are a lot of things in this world that I don't understand, and this is one of them. What limits do you plan to play if you have to stay in a dive and ride the Deuce?

Wouldn't you be better served to find a deal on the strip where you can walk to other poker rooms and are much less likely to get killed?

I hope you don't think I am trolling you, I am really curious about how much you will save balanced against travel costs & safety.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:54 AM

Vacations cost too much per hour to waste 'em waiting for and riding on buses.

But if you really want to, 1 hour sounds about right for downtown to Tropicana (should be less at 7am, maybe more at 5pm). I haven't ridden the Deuce itself, but rode the previous buses a few times. I HATED (*H*A*T*E*D*) the normal bus that stopped at every spot along the way. It took forever to get downtown and back. But the express bus wasn't bad since it skipped like 2 out of 3 stops.

And yeah, I've seen people get left behind at the bus stop when the arriving bus was full and didn't drop off nearly enough passengers. This won't be a problem downtown since you're getting on to an empty bus at the end of the line, and shouldn't be a problem around Excalibur because you're near the end of the other end of the line. But around Flamingo, it may happen during prime time. But often this happens because the buses get bunched up, so there end up being 3 at a time running one behind the other. First one will be full. Next one nearly full. Next one nearly empty.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:27 PM

The DEUCE can be a fun ride BUT the wait can kill your day.
I take the DEUCE now and again just for giggles when I do not want to get my car out of parking.
From the strip to downtown has taken me from 20 minutes during the week to about an hour on the weekend.
I do not ride on the weekend anymore.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vacations cost too much per hour to waste 'em waiting for and riding on buses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for all the replies.

After thinking about the entire situation, I agree with the above statement. When you add up the cost for the hotel room, gas from SoCal to LV (and back), food, etc... it is much better to just pay ~$10 or whatever for a taxi ride.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:58 PM

Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent

If you do decide to ride the bus, note that there are two identical (except for the intermediate stops) "routes"--the 301 and the 302. The 302 is the "express" and would expedite your trip significantly. But be sure that the stop you are waiting at includes the 302 as well as the 301.

Disclaimer: this info is from a couple of years ago, so check the website to be sure it has not changed.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:05 PM

Default I <3 public transportation...

...but I still prefer taking cabs in Vegas. Like Bav said, it feels wrong wasting time waiting for a bus on vacation with all that action going on.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...and are much less likely to get killed?

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? Where do you live?
Old 05-07-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't you be better served to find a deal on the strip where you can walk to other poker rooms and are much less likely to get killed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Steam - Nobody lives on the strip, there are no homes available. If you dont have a car you have to rely on other sources of transport because the walk is generally too far unless you want to live in a crack den on Paradise.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:17 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
Steam - Nobody lives on the strip, there are no homes available. If you dont have a car you have to rely on other sources of transport because the walk is generally too far unless you want to live in a crack den on Paradise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he was on vacation or just a short term poker trip.