Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 11:34 AM

Default I screwed this one up bad.

Decent not exceptional not terrible Borg 20/40.

Villain 1 is the professor for those that know him. Likes to talk a lot and prove he knows how to use words like 'equity' and 'donkey.' He plays decent although surprisingly passive preflop. He's not well liked but that doesn't really matter here.

villain 2 is one of my favorites. He's always having fun, hates to lose to better cards, tries to play well and can't. He falls under my HAJ category or, Has A Job. Meaning, he's not an idiot by any means and he's well off financially so he comes on weekends to play flops not fold AJo all day. We have a history of him winning for a while and me winning in the end but we get along pretty well.

Villian 1 "professor" raises in LMP,
Villian 2 calls on the button

I call with 33c in the big.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

checked around.

Now I messed up I smoked checked which I've never done but was convinced I was done with the hand.

turn is 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

villian 1 bets, villian 2 raises, and I consult my map.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: I screwed this one up bad.

I kind of like calling the turn and betting all non 4 line rivers
Old 05-04-2007, 12:45 PM

In spots like that, when action looks a bit out of line for both players i'd like to call the turn and see what develops. 3 betting is not a bad play but it just may commit you to 5 bets or more on turn\river when you drawing to 1 out. If original raiser just calls a raise and river comes none broadway\none pairing the board CRing the river sounds like a good idea.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:01 PM

IMO you have the professor smoked and he's almost always folding immediately on the turn regardless of what you do. this is usually something like 99 or 77 from him.

I actually think you're a bit of a dog here, and button has AT or T9 a ton. I think you should call and see how button reacts. if he seems surprised you're calling you should bet the river, otherwise check/call or check/raise. but maybe you should just bet any river.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:27 PM

I don't think you screwed up too bad at all, you may want to call for a setup though if you really got dealt suited 3's.

I can't imagine these guys checking the flop with a set or straight on this board in a multiway raised pot...or at least I know I wouldn't, I'm betting a monster hand on the flop everytime. So with that in mind I would think you have the best hand and play accordingly = Fire the 3-bizzle.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:47 PM

I think you are assuming these opponents think like you much more than they actually do. In my experience, the type of opponents OP describes love to play the flop backwards.

Sounds to me like OP is toasted cheerios way more often than 1/3 of the time and is not closing the action. Folding sets on the turn in limit hold'em is generally bad poker but I think this is one of the rare spots where it's ok.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:15 PM

Why not just lead the turn?
Old 05-04-2007, 01:56 PM

The PF call seems a little thin to me - since we're obviously playing for set value only, I think I'd like to have another caller or two, or be in a pot with players who will spew lots of chips when we catch our set. These two don't seem like the kind of opponents who will give us enough action to make up the difference.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The PF call seems a little thin to me - since we're obviously playing for set value only, I think I'd like to have another caller or two, or be in a pot with players who will spew lots of chips when we catch our set. These two don't seem like the kind of opponents who will give us enough action to make up the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

PF is fine, and standard. Did you see he's in the BB?
Old 05-04-2007, 02:19 PM

Hmm... I did notice he was BB, but I guess I didn't do the math right. He's getting 5:1 immediate odds, so he only has to make up 3 more SB when he catches which shouldn't be hard even with passive players.

Never mind.