Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2007, 08:11 AM

Default I want to start jogging but...

I quit smoking two weeks ago and I figured that I need to do something healthy so I wouldn't start againg like I always do. I think this is my 5th-7th attempt to quit and I have been smoking for 8 years or so (I am 24 now). I decided to start jogging because I always wanted to do it and it's easy.

So I had my first run yesterday. I started slowly, gradually increasing speed but I wasn't able to run for more than 1-2 minutes at a time. I had to decrease my speed and just walk, than I would run for 1-2 more minutes and had to stop again.

Is it normal? What should I do, shall I keep jogging and wait til I get in shape? Does anyone know anything about or had experience with doing sports after quitting smoking? i need some info on that and I couldn't find anything on the net. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2007, 08:36 AM

Default Re: I want to start jogging but...

There's nothing at all wrong with alternating running/walking like that...if you can keep your heart rate up the whole time then that's fine. Obviously your goal is to start making the running intervals longer and the walking shorter, until eventually it's one big run.

Then there's the HIIT that everyone's crazy about, which is alternating full sprints with recovery walks, but don't worry about trying that until you get in decent cardio shape from regular jogging.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:10 AM

Getting outside is the hardest part.

No shame in a walk/run combo. In no time you will be able to cover more distance between walking.

Good luck!
Old 05-04-2007, 09:28 AM

Everybody starts somewhere..Make it a competition with yourself. Time yourself on how long you can run straight that day. The next time you run...try and go a little bit longer and continue this competition..eventually youll get to where you are running farther and faster and then you can do all kinds of things
Old 05-04-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everybody starts somewhere

[/ QUOTE ]

just make a plan and stick to it...as long as you're doing something you're making progress
Old 05-04-2007, 12:39 PM

That's a great start. In just a few weeks you should be able to up the run/walk ratio. Essentially run/walk is a form of interval training.

One important thing is to make sure that you have decent shoes. Your shoes should be in good condition. You may even consider going to a running specific shoe store where they'll help you pick a pair that compensates for your gait. The last thing you want is to have to stop jogging cuz you've hurt yourself.

Good luck.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:30 PM

What you did is a beginners version of HIIT. Just keep stepping it up each time you do the run part.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:31 PM

"What you did is a beginners version of HIIT."

HIIT is s version of interval training for athletes or those with advanced training.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:56 PM

Ratamahatta, good luck. Your story mirrors mine very closely: last year I was 24 and an 8-year, half-a-pack a day smoker. I quit, started taking Commit nicotine lozenges, and started jogging. First time out I was wheezing after 3/4 mile; after a month, I ran a marathon in under 5 hours. I haven't had a cig since 2/23/06. If you really push yourself and stay dedicated to health and physical fitness, you will surprise yourself.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:02 PM

What are the best shoes for a 200 pound guy that is running alot? I try to change my shoes often but I am not sure what is the best kind of shoe. I usually just get nike shoes with the air in the back that are on sale.