Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 08:38 PM

Default President Clinton Supported Bush\'s Justification for War?!

I was just reading some news articles and came across this comment from Clinton on Larry King in 2003,

[ QUOTE ]
"Clinton also said Tuesday night that at the end of his term, there was "a substantial amount of biological and chemical material unaccounted for " in Iraq.

"So I thought it was prudent for the president to go to the U.N. and for the U.N. to say, 'You got to let these inspectors in, and this time if you don't cooperate the penalty could be regime change, not just continued sanctions.'"

Clinton told King: "People can quarrel with whether we should have more troops in Afghanistan or internationalize Iraq or whatever, but it is incontestable that on the day I left office, there were unaccounted for stocks of biological and chemical weapons.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to lend incredible support to the idea that Bush did not lie about WMDs in Iraq. Clinton did not say "some evidence" or "strong evidence". He said, "incontestable evidence". Clinton also advocated regime change.

How does this square with the crowd that claims Bush lied about WMDs and that he concocted everything to use as justification for war?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: President Clinton Supported Bush\'s Justification for War?!

[ QUOTE ]
I was just reading some news articles and came across this comment from Clinton on Larry King in 2003,

[ QUOTE ]
"Clinton also said Tuesday night that at the end of his term, there was "a substantial amount of biological and chemical material unaccounted for " in Iraq.

"So I thought it was prudent for the president to go to the U.N. and for the U.N. to say, 'You got to let these inspectors in, and this time if you don't cooperate the penalty could be regime change, not just continued sanctions.'"

Clinton told King: "People can quarrel with whether we should have more troops in Afghanistan or internationalize Iraq or whatever, but it is incontestable that on the day I left office, there were unaccounted for stocks of biological and chemical weapons.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to lend incredible support to the idea that Bush did not lie about WMDs in Iraq. Clinton did not say "some evidence" or "strong evidence". He said, "incontestable evidence". Clinton also advocated regime change.

How does this square with the crowd that claims Bush lied about WMDs and that he concocted everything to use as justification for war?

[/ QUOTE ]

The proof that WMDs were a false front are in the aftermath. We found none of significance. So did the administration say "well, I'm glad those aren't a problem like we thought, let's get out of here". Or did it remove Saddam from his power base and then allow international inspectors without needing to occupy the nation? No and No.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That crowd has no basis for its its claims. Nothing squares with their position.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:46 PM

Utah,

Both parties are full of lying hypocritical warmongers. Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Utah,

Both parties are full of lying hypocritical warmongers. Thanks for pointing this out.

[/ QUOTE ]Note, I didn't mean my post to be an attack on anyone from either party. As I recently posted, Bush is a dangerous guy. I was just trying to square that comment with the general consensus of a large part of the population that believes Bush made the whole thing up.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Utah,

[/ QUOTE ]

/thread
Old 05-02-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I left office, there was a substantial amount of biological and chemical material unaccounted for. That is, at the end of the first Gulf War, we knew what he had. We knew what was destroyed in all the inspection processes and that was a lot. And then we bombed with the British for four days in 1998. We might have gotten it all; we might have gotten half of it; we might have gotten none of it. But we didn't know. So I thought it was prudent for the president to go to the U.N. and for the U.N. to say you got to let these inspectors in, and this time if you don't cooperate the penalty could be regime change, not just continued sanctions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unaccounted for and not sure if the bombing had destroyed them is not the same as believing the WMDs existed.
And "could be regime change" is not "invade and occupy".
Old 05-02-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And "could be regime change" is not "invade and occupy".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, sure it could, and a BJ isnt sex.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:00 PM

No, Clinton did not think it was "justification" for war.
Obviously Saddam was a problem, and Clinton had several methods of dealing with it -- invasion and occupation was not one of them.

Kid down the street has a offensive T-shirt on.
My neighbor shoots the kid in the head for wearing t-shirt.

I think the t-shirt was offensive therefore I agree the kid getting his head blown off is justified? NO.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:21 PM

There were weapons inspectors on the ground in Iraq just prior to the invasion. They were about halfway through. Hans Blix. They found nothing. We didn't let them finish, the fact that they didn't find anything led Bush to conclude that Saddam wasn't cooperating with the inspectors. Dangerous indeed.