Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Can\'t see the light

I play 30/60 50/100 and 100/200 across many different sites. On average (although never this limit exactly) i play 75/150 and am in the middle of a 500bb downswing spread over 3 weeks.
I'm aware there are more talented players out there but i have made good money playing at these limits over the last 3 years or so and have never ran so bad.
Does the old benchmark of a 300bb bankroll being big enough to avoid risk of ruin still hold true or has the age of high-speed shorthanded multi-tabling changed this to 1000bb as stoxtrader suggests in his new book?
Or worse still, am i now longer up to it without a significant review of my game?
I guess i am feeling extremely sorry for myself and my confidence is massively undermined to the extent i'll be taking a very long break from the game but has anyone else with a good long term track record suffered a similar swing over such a relatively short period?
I am looking for more than just a pat on the back (although that would be nice) i'm interested in peoples views on varience and money management...does anyone play with a daily stop loss, as much of my downswing can be accounted for by just a few sessions where i've been crushed but haven't necessarily stepped up limits. As in lost 14k playing 50/100 in a night but all at 50/100 not 4k at 50/100 and 10k at 200/400 chasing it which is what i historically used to suffer from.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Can\'t see the light

hey bro,

500bb isn't nearly enough for those limits. 1000bb is probably a lot closer to what u need.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:31 PM

I have had two 500 bb downswings in those games in the past month and half and IMO I was playing winning poker through both of them.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have had two 500 bb downswings in those games in the past month and half and IMO I was playing winning poker through both of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're up not only against experts, you are up against colluding experts. Give it up. Its hopeless unless you are one of the cheaters.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're up not only against experts, you are up against colluding experts. Give it up. Its hopeless unless you are one of the cheaters.

[/ QUOTE ]

The player base is fairly small so that it would be pretty obvious it there was rampant cheating in these games. I guess you don't play in these games very often?
Old 04-26-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The player base is fairly small so that it would be pretty obvious it there was rampant cheating in these games. I guess you don't play in these games very often?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't play online at all any more. It doesn't take much. They don't need any big organized plan. Just two buddies on the cell phone as they play who tell each other their cards. Knowledge of two extra cards by an expert player makes any opponent a big long term underdog. There need not be any blatant team play or trapping going on.

On every turn, you're dealing with 6 cards seen and 44 unseen. They are dealing with 8 cards seen and 42 unseen. Every single decision is more mathematically accurate. You can't compete.

Even if the two buddies didn't tell each other their cards while they were in the pot together, but only after they folded. Nobody would ever catch that and you still have no chance.

He has a close call on the flop but his backdoor flush draw makes it a marginal call. But wait, his buddy folded one of that suit preflop so he'll now fold. EV in the bank. How much of this do you think you can take?
Old 04-26-2007, 10:35 PM

I was at Bellagio several weeks ago. Johnny Chan was at the next table. I didn't here the comment he was responding to but I did hear his response: "That's why I don't play on line. Can't win. Nobody wins. "
Old 04-29-2007, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was at Bellagio several weeks ago. Johnny Chan was at the next table. I didn't here the comment he was responding to but I did hear his response: "That's why I don't play on line. Can't win. Nobody wins. "

[/ QUOTE ]
apparently tho chan has never been a winner in live limit cash games though, too. he has made his money from donkaments and business ventures. "gasp"
Old 04-29-2007, 10:41 AM

For those worried about collusion, I recommend playing at heads-up only tables. That's what I did.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
apparently tho chan has never been a winner in live limit cash games though, too. he has made his money from donkaments and business ventures. "gasp"

[/ QUOTE ]

The story he tells is different. He was a professional poker player at cash games before he ever became a huge success. First in private games in Texas, then on to Las Vegas, and then to California.

Of course he made most of his money from tournaments and other business ventures. Nobody is going to become very wealthy playing cash games for $100 to $200 per hour. That is just a way for somebody to make a good living if they are willing to put in long hours. But they can parlay that into millions with good investments.