Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 12:22 AM

Default My bankroll is five dollars. Need advice.

I'll spare you the sob story of how I have been brought so low.. instead I'll just give you the relevant facts. I have five dollars and it's the only money that I will have to play with for awhile. I want to try to rebuild my bankroll, and I am willing to grind it out at the micro limits for as long as it takes. I know it sounds hopeless but I am not going to give up.

My question to you knowledgeable people in 2p2 land is this: What should I be playing and what strategy should I employ? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: My bankroll is five dollars. Need advice.

Sounds like 2c/4c on Stars is your only option. You can't really get lower than that. Your roll is small enough that you're fairly likely to go BUSTO, but hopefully you'll make it. What you might consider is hanging out in Micro for a bit while reading and responding to hands. That way, you can learn and get better at poker before you put the last of your roll on the line so as to give yourself the best chance of avoiding BUSTO as possible. Check out our FAQ.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:34 AM

It's doable but very boring if what you were playing at was higher than, say, .15/.30. Before running my last 10 or 20 bucks to 50 on Party and transferring it to Stars I was grinding with 6 bucks on Stars. My BR on Stars is now around 250.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:38 AM

You might want to search the forums with the keywords "bankroll management."

Keep the dream alive.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:46 AM

all on red, no wait... black. Just kiddin. Off to 0.01/0.02 for you... move up soon though. Should be easy to go up the ladder.

Good luck!
Old 04-23-2007, 12:57 AM

I was in a similar situation about 3 weeks ago. I had my BR over $180. I was playing all too high a limit for my BR, hit a downturn and burned over $120 in 24hours. Needless to say I was a bit tiltish. Took me about another 6 days but soon had it down to $8.23. Took 2 days off and re-read SSHE then started playing .5/.10 and vowed not to do anything else for the next 10000 hands. Well 3 weeks in I am up over $33 and counting. There is hope, just take enough time to get out of "I gotta win my cash back" mode. Then start again. Possibly even start at .02/.04 until you get at least 100BB. Up to you. But dont give up, if I can do it, you can too!
Old 04-23-2007, 01:30 AM

1) Read Pokerbooks
2) If you are new to poker perhapst you should get some practic. Start and try to beat playmoney. (And that for more than 1 evening)
3) Post the hands that you're unsure about in this forum
(not every hand you loose is played wrong / not every you win played well)
4) Don't play to many Tabels!!
1 or 2 should be enouth for the begining
Old 04-23-2007, 01:50 AM

a couple other options:

look for freeroll tourneys on pokerstars & full tilt
google "instant bankroll"
Old 04-23-2007, 02:12 AM

Old 04-23-2007, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4) Don't play to many Tabels!!
1 or 2 should be enouth for the begining

[/ QUOTE ]
Considering you BR is not actually even 300BB at $.02/.04, I strongly recommend playing only 1 table at a time for at least 5,000 hands. Really concentrate on watching your opponents and try to pick up on their tendencies. This area was (and still is) on of my biggest challenges. At first I focused on the simplest things like how often an opponet will cold call and how passive/agressive are your opponents. There are also some tools that may help you on your way, Poker Tracker (Holdem) and Poker Ace HUD.

Poker Tracker (trial download)
http://www.pokertracker.com/download2.html

This software tracks both your statistics and your opponents. This can be utilized to in so many ways to numerous to list, I review my daily sessions every night and look for areas I could have played hands better etc. It takes awhile to figure out all the nooks and crannies but this one is a gem.

Poker Ace HUD (trial download)
http://pokeracesoftware.com/hud/download.php

This software works hand in hand with Poker Tracker and overlays some of your opponents stats (and yours if you like) right on the table. It basically tells you how loose/tight and how passive/agressive your opponents are after a set number of hands (I have mine set to 10). Of course it can tell you so much more than that but in the beginning you just scratch the surface.

Poker Tracker gives you 1000 hand trial and Poker Ace is 30 days. These two pieces of software help me alot in learning to analyze my opponents. I do use them both regularly, but PLEASE NOTE that I am not saying that you should have a piece of software making all your reads for you. Believe me, it does not do that. There are so many things you need to pick up on. I have this software and I still do not multitable. I like having some stats at my fingertips to help me decide what kind of range of hands I may be up against, but you have to use your own reads to perform at an optimum level (and believe me I am not there YET!!!).

<font color="green"> What do some of the SENIOR members think about this software? Is is just a crutch? Should I eventually try to stop using the overlay and rely 100% on my own reads or is there a place for this? Well I apologize if I am rambling so I will go now. Flame away if necessary. </font>