Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Look what I\'ve got myself into, interesting spot w/ 65s..

I'm curious as to what you guys have to say about this one. It happened at 1/2 but give the hand a chance, I don't think it'd create good discussion at SSNL.

Villian is unknown for the most part. He's been here two orbits and won a small pot that I didn't really notice. I usually just call here but decided to 3-bet here to try it out.

On the flop, I feel I have 3 choices:

1) Bet a pot-commiting bet of $60. This will leave me w/ the need for 30% equity if we play for stacks (about $133 to win $415,) which I will have around 32% against an overpair.

* Another option to a pot-commiting bet may be to just open push. This could get him to fold hands like T9, 98, etc that he may push over a bet.

2) Bet a smaller amount, like $40, and thus I will need 37% equity to play for stacks if he pushes and can fold given a standard range we can give him.

3) Check behind flop and try to hit.

What do you guys feel is best?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($190)
MP ($153.70)
<font color="#C00000">CO ($225.10)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($380.40)</font>
SB ($237.85)
BB ($271.25)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $28</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $20.

Flop: ($59) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero decides too?
Old 04-20-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Look what I\'ve got myself into, interesting spot w/ 65s..

I check behind and try to hit. I think you're getting c/red so often here, and I don't wanna bet pot just so i can call a shove. I'd never overbet shove here with anything, so not sure how good that is.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I check behind and try to hit. I think you're getting c/red so often here, and I don't wanna bet pot just so i can call a shove. I'd never overbet shove here with anything, so not sure how good that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I forgot to add, that although I never overbet shove here and it won't fit into my "metagame," it's my first time playing against some 1/2 dude that I will probably never see again, so I don't think it matters if I never do it.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:58 AM

I definatly check back. Betting will result in a c/r and calling off our stack wayy too often IMO. I don't hate an overbet, but since I would never overbet shove with AA KK here, I don't think its v good.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:59 AM

Yeah, just saying I never do it, so I can't comment on if I think it's good or not. But not sure he folds an overpair often enough. Plus, if we hit one of our outs on the turn, his overpair stays an overpair or becomes a set, and I think we can still get stacks in on the next 2 streets. On a side note, I love 3betting 65s otb against a CO open, but I like to have a read first.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:58 AM

Interesting spot i'd say, the answer does not seem clear cut to me.

The only one i don't like is bet/fold.

I will err on the bet/call or open push side because: I 3bet pretty often, and if i don't defend 3bet pot with stack often enough people start restealing too much. Gambling your 2:1 odds in these spots make life harder for villain i feel.

The argument for checking is: At 1/2 i think people have a big hand most of the time when you get called preflop here. So you'll get c/r'd flop a lot and might prefer drawing cheaply to your invisible draw before commiting.
But if he doesn't have a hand, you're giving away the pot to random high cards and this sucks.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:01 AM

bet pot, call push
make some G-bucks ...
Old 04-20-2007, 06:47 PM

i like betting ~60 and calling push or checking behind. i hate bet/fold because i want to give myself a chance to hit the draws, and i hate open shoving becuase people always say its a draw or AK and call.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:52 PM

I bet here 100% of the time vs. an unknown since they usually call with retarded holdings preflop then fold to cbets always. If this were a decent regular, I'd probably check behind.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:52 PM

Check it back and shove over a turn bet can be a fun line.