Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 02:03 AM

Default TPTK Facing two cold

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero?</font>

UTG is an unknown that just sat down. MP2 is loose pf. Loves to raise any pocket pair it seems. (only seen 3) He raised 99 with 3 limpers, 77 with a limper, can't remember the other one. His play is sparatic. At least I can't figure it out.

I'm never sure where I stand in these type of situations. I have a strong hand on a semi coordinated board. The table has been aggressive pf, but that tells me nothing about utg.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:10 AM

Default Re: TPTK Facing two cold

3 bets preflop

3 bets flop
Old 04-19-2007, 02:17 AM

Don't fold the flop. Don't really feel too strongly about either other option.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:19 AM

I thought about 3-betting pf, was concerned about my position the rest of the hand though. If I was last to act on later streets I may have.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:29 AM

3town pf and lead flop
Old 04-19-2007, 02:30 AM

given your play 3town the flop
Old 04-19-2007, 02:32 AM

First thought is 3-bang it. MP2 is raising so much crap here, especially taking your read into account.

However, there are probably not too many hands UTG will call with. Maybe KQ. High spades. Maybe Ax and Kx with a spade. Does it matter? Probably not, he might have just folded to the first raise anyway. So I 3-bet for the times MP is raising a draw or just being "tricky".

I don't really care if UTG comes along or not, if he calls, we are probably beating him. If caps, we can probably fold the turn UI. If he folds, he probably has something like AJ, JJ-TT, AK with no trumps and would probably have folded the turn to any more aggression regardless.

It's pretty interesting though, I think the chances of him calling a 3-bet with hands like A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]x and K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]x, particularly something like K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q, where you will probably get more bets on later streets makes this a nice value 3-bet.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:16 AM

3bet the flop.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:55 AM

info coldcall to see where UTG is at and to rep the draw.

lead just about any turn
Old 04-19-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His play is sparatic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean sporadic?

At any rate, I think you have a clear 3-bet preflop for value. I don't think AQs is that difficult to play out of position, or that you'll recoup that many extra bets postflop by passing on your equity edge here. 3-pop it.

I don't think it matters a ton whether you 3-bone the flop or cold-call it. The advantages of ice-calling are: you possibly get value out of a hand UTG might fold to a trey; it's deceptive; you lose the least this way when one of them has something like Q9, 66, etc. 3-boxing might still get a call from UTG, and also charges the maximum to draws, which could well be out there. Personally I'd 3-smack it but I don't hate freezer-calling either.