Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 02:09 AM

Default Fun and games with A9s, not much content.

Ok, so I decided to go over to the park tonight, and maybe play some 15-30 live. When I got there, there was a seat available immediately on a 6-12 game, and I put my name on the lists for 8-16, and 15-30.

Ok, so I sit in the 6-12, game, and when I get there, I can post in the CO, so I go ahead and post immediately. A young guy in MP open raises, and I have A9 of spades. I think for a second, and try and decide between threebetting, and calling my post, and I decide to just call, in my mind, I am thinking that I might have KQ instead of A9, because so many players coldcall with KQ, even though what I just did wasn't a coldcall. Anyway, the button and SB fold, and the BB calls. Right now, I am thinking that I should have threebet preflop, but that is a discussion for another time. (or maybe this time if you want to.)

Anyway, the flop is KT2, maybe one of my suit. The BB looks like he's ready for the next hand to begin, and the preflop raiser looks annoyed.

BB checks, raiser bets, and I raise, the BB folds, and the raiser thinks, and calls.

Turn is some kind of blank. Lets make it a deuce. The raiser is playing with his chips, and somewhere in there, I think he taps the table, so I bet. Then he gets mad, and says 'Hey buddy, I didn't bet', so I apologize, and take my bet back. He checks, I bet, and he calls, and says, 'For that, you deserve to be rivered.' By now, I've figured out that a couple of the guys next to him, are friends or acquaintances, or something, because they seem more interested in the action than people usually are at the table.

Ok, now the river is some other blankish card, like a 4. Whatever it is, it certainly didn't change the situation. Ok, now I wait, and make sure that he checks, and I bet again. He thinks for a little while, and now I'm sure the the two guys next to him, are his buddies, and I realize that this is working in my favor. He picks his hand up to look at it, so they can see what he has, and now, He 'knows' that he is behind, and his friends 'know it too', so if he pays me off, he is looking like a chump on the hand. Finally, he mucks pocket Jacks faceup.

Now, I never show hands, but this guy seems like he is a) tiltable, and b) part way there already. I'm planning on leaving this table soon. But, if I was going to stay, would you, just this once, show your hand?

Ok, so I play about a lap, and I get called to the 8-16 game. The 6-12 game seems kind of staid, at least half the table is trying to play well, so I take the 8-16 game.

Ok, now a couple of weeks ago, I described a game that I was in as the best 8-16 game in history. I might have to take that back. I think that the one I played in tonight, most of the time, had 7 players, that I am pretty certain, couldn't hold their own at online .50/1.00. Most pots were 6 ways for one or two bets, and for most players, once they decided to play (which didn't take much, maybe two cards with matching backs) it didn't matter how many bets they faced, they were just going to see a flop. Or a turn. I remeber during one stretch, for several hands in a row, 5 players put in a bet on the turn, and saw the river. Once a flop happened, the pots were contested very aggressively, with all kinds of bets and raises going in with all kinds of weak draws.

One guy busts out, two seats to my right, and when I am in the Small Blind, a new player sits down. He posts, UTG straddles, the dealer asks the new player if he is still going to post on a straddle hand, and he says 'sure, why not, I came here to gamble, too.' So, someone raises the straddle, the gambler coldcalls, and eventually puts in five bets preflop. He makes it too the showdown on this hand, and I can't remember what he had, but I do remember thinking, 'yes he did come here to gamble.'

So, after the first hand, where he blew off a bunch of chips, he is sort of shortstacked. ( He might have come to the table with 160 in chips) UTG and UTG+1 limp, and then its folded to the gambler. He raises, and I decide that I want to isolate him, and I have A9 suited again. I threebet on the button, but both blinds, and both limpers call. The gambler calls, and says 'nice hand'.

So, the flop comes J42 twotone. Well, there is only one overcard to my nine, and everyone checks to me. I decide to bet again, and maybe take a freecard on the turn if possible. I bet, and they all call. This is actually good news, because as aggressively as the table has played, I think that I might be ahead.

Turn, is a 9, woohoo. I like my hand. Checked to me, and I bet, the small blind, someone in the middle, and the gambler call, but all of them look like they hope the river is going to help them.

River, Maybe the third best card in the deck, ( after an ace, or another 9) is a jack. It gets checked to me, and I decide to value bet, because I think I'm ahead, and I don't want to show my threebetting standards just yet. SB moans about so many outs, and folds. The next player studies the board and folds, and the gambler, sloppily mucks A5.

I never did make it to the 15-30 game [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 04-15-2007, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Fun and games with A9s, not much content.

This is the only reason why I play live games anymore, people do and say some of the dumbest [censored] ever and wonder why they are losing hands or why some players make 'great folds' against them.

I got involved in a 4/8 game down in Biloxi once where a guy mucked top pair to my second pair twice running because I raised him. He was damn near saying out loud what kind of hand he had every time. I almost felt bad to take half his stack over the course of an hour. Quite possibly the best 4/8 game I've ever sat down at because the rest of the table was just as bad about practically showing me what they had.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Now, I never show hands, but this guy seems like he is a) tiltable, and b) part way there already. I'm planning on leaving this table soon. But, if I was going to stay, would you, just this once, show your hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

You gain more from ignorance than you do from adding to the tilt factor. Dont show. Also 3-bet pre-flop or fold, calling is the worst of the three options - I bet you didn't expect to be told that?

[ QUOTE ]
He raises, and I decide that I want to isolate him, and I have A9 suited again. I threebet on the button, but both blinds, and both limpers call. The gambler calls, and says 'nice hand'.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not a good spot for an isolation raise, because your not isolating anyone. The two limpers will come along, all your doing is tossing in another bet into the pot. Now if the gambler opened the pot, then I'd love your isolation raise.

Sounds like a great game!
Old 04-15-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also 3-bet pre-flop or fold, calling is the worst of the three options - I bet you didn't expect to be told that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did expect to be told that. I have to say, that I was barely in my seat, and the dealer was dealing and asking me to post, and I wasn't ready to play poker. So I didn't play poker until after the flop. But it might have worked out better that way anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
this is not a good spot for an isolation raise, because your not isolating anyone. The two limpers will come along, all your doing is tossing in another bet into the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was actually the hand on which I figured out, how much this table needed to see the flop. It was about my third lap, and I thought that they were pretty loose, but I didn't realize how much they hated money until this hand. In fact, although I thought it was an isolation raise, it probably worked out, because against this crew, it was a good value raise.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:16 PM

This post is just more reinforcement that I need to build my bankroll up to move form the 6/12 and 4/8 tables to the 8/16 at cp.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also 3-bet pre-flop or fold, calling is the worst of the three options - I bet you didn't expect to be told that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did expect to be told that. I have to say, that I was barely in my seat, and the dealer was dealing and asking me to post, and I wasn't ready to play poker. So I didn't play poker until after the flop. But it might have worked out better that way anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, you posted right?

3betting>>>>>>calling>>&gt ;>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;>>>>folding.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, you posted right?

3betting>>>>>>calling>>&gt ;>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;>>>>folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, how about this, threebetting is the better of the two options. We won't call folding an option.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:25 PM

You're really better off 3-betting virtually every hand you want to play in this spot.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You gain more from ignorance than you do from adding to the tilt factor. Dont show. Also 3-bet pre-flop or fold, calling is the worst of the three options - I bet you didn't expect to be told that?

[/ QUOTE ]

calling is WAY better than folding
Old 04-16-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you are out of your mind.