Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 07:03 AM

Default Moving to the Chapel Hill area, any advice or suggestions?

My girlfriend is entering the phd program at the Univ. of North Carolina, and so we're moving from Washingon, D.C. sometime in July. Basically, I'm looking for suggestions on where to live, what the housing market is like, and some good places to go and fun things to do down there.

I don't really think "fun things to do" will be a problem give that it's one of the most well-known campuses around and basically shuts down for college basketball, but I'm a little older (30) and coming from D.C., so it will be a change.

Basic questions: Anyone have suggestions on the housing market? The plan now is to rent for a year and then try and buy a place. We're looking at the Carborro area because it seems like a small, fun, possibly-walkable area area that we'd fit with. Is finding an apartment difficult? Anyone have specific suggestions or experiences?

The biggest change will be transportation - haven't needed a car for the seven years I've been in D.C., but we expect that will change.

Anyone have good bar/restaurant suggestions? Not so much looking for the typical college bar, we like to eat out a fair amount. Any wine shop suggestions?

We went down to look at the area a month ago and it seems like a lot of fun, so at this point we're starting to make firmer plans. Probably moving late July or the first week of August, depending on what kind of lease we can get.

Any suggestions appreciated.

ElSapo
Old 04-13-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Moving to the Chapel Hill area, any advice or suggestions?

Tell your GF you want to "see other people" because no man should live in Chapel Hill without the chance to bang hot Carolina girls.

Restaurant: Crook's Corner
Bar: He's Not Here
Old 04-13-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell your GF you want to "see other people" because no man should live in Chapel Hill without the chance to bang hot Carolina girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't want to walk from Carrboro to campus. Certainly not when it's damn hot out. Or in the rain.

Soooooo many hot girls there. So, so many.

Mama Dips ftw.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't want to walk from Carrboro to campus. Certainly not when it's damn hot out. Or in the rain.

Soooooo many hot girls there. So, so many.

Mama Dips ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but there's free buses that run all day to and from Carrboro to campus.

No s**t about the girls--it took me about three years to get used to it when I moved here, and every spring it's still ridiculous.

And sorry, but have to disagree about Mama Dips--pretty tasty, but overpriced and the portions are miniscule.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell your GF you want to "see other people" because no man should live in Chapel Hill.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 04-13-2007, 03:09 PM

You should also take her to the Rathskeller at least once, but it might scare her. Also like someone else said, Cat's Cradle has good music.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:40 PM

Drive up the road to Duke and check out the parties the Lacrosse team throws
Old 04-13-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Drive up the road to Duke and check out the parties the Lacrosse team throws

[/ QUOTE ]

Dismissed, damn you!!
Old 04-13-2007, 02:25 PM

I've lived in CH/Carrboro for around 10 years--here are some thoughts:

Carrboro>>>CH, for starters. It's cheaper, there are less retarded undergrad types, it's walkable, and the business district, such as it is, is booming. Carrboro is, and has historically been, a haven for artistic types. A ton of musicians as well as a lot of older grad students live here.

Carrboro is centered around Weaver Street Market, which is a hippyish co-op organic grocery store. I personally get annoyed at the Volvo Hippies that hang out there, but it is a a pretty good store, and the outdoor seating/garden area is really nice.

Also, the best bar in CH/Carrboro is right in that area--it's called Orange County Social Club. Great bar staff, no student-y BS, nice bar, patio etc. I'm 31, and it suits me perfectly--I would think it would you, too.

As far as good restaurants go, here are some:

-Crook's Corner (as aforementioned)
-Acme (especially for brunch)
-Lantern (great, great neo-Asian)
-The Barbecue Joint (self-explanatory)
-Allen and Son (also bbq)
-Piedmont (in Durham)
-A zillion Mexican places, the good ones being Margaret's Cantina, Armadillo Grill, Los Potrillos, Torero's

Good bars--Besides Orange County, there's Hell, Fuse, Reservoir, Milltown, and a ton of others, although most of them are more collegey.

Also, you should check out the Cat's Cradle and Local 506 for live music.

As far as housing and apts. go, my GF and I recently bought a house in Carrboro for 200. The housing market here is booming, so I'd advise you to start looking when you get here, if you're thinking about buying. You can definitely find cheaper places out in the country. I'd also avoid the apartment complexes around here, as a lot of them are kind of student hellholes. Just get on Craig's List and look for housing rentals--they're not too hard to find and aren't much more expensive than apartments.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:10 PM

My wife is a real estate agent in the Triangle (I was last year; too busy this year). PM me if you're interested in talking to her about these sorts of issues.