Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Pope John Paul II Miracle

A French Nun attributes her cure of Parkinson's disease to the late Pontiff. Especially interesting since Parkinson's is a degenerative nerve disease that shouldn't simply disappear. Also of note is that John Paul II suffered from this disease in his later years.

Here

As always, I'm curious for commentary from the faithful and skeptics alike.

BDD
Old 04-11-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Pope John Paul II Miracle

[ QUOTE ]
A French Nun attributes her cure of Parkinson's disease to the late Pontiff. Especially interesting since Parkinson's is a degenerative nerve disease that shouldn't simply disappear. Also of note is that John Paul II suffered from this disease in his later years.

Here

As always, I'm curious for commentary from the faithful and skeptics alike.

BDD

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm convinced. Praise the Lord!
Old 04-11-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I was 17 when John Paul became pope -- in a way he was my pope. I felt as if I had lost a friend

Convincing evidence of a miracle -- usually a medical cure with no scientific explanation -- is essential in the beatification process, the first step to sainthood in the Roman Catholic Church.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gee, you think she's an advocate for John Paul II's sainthood? No alterior motive there, eh?
Old 04-11-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"I was 17 when John Paul became pope -- in a way he was my pope. I felt as if I had lost a friend

Convincing evidence of a miracle -- usually a medical cure with no scientific explanation -- is essential in the beatification process, the first step to sainthood in the Roman Catholic Church.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gee, you think she's an advocate for John Paul II's sainthood? No alterior motive there, eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course she advocates his Sainthood. But I doubt all the motivation in the world can make someone cure themselves of Parkinson's Disease.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I doubt all the motivation in the world can make someone cure themselves of Parkinson's Disease.

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously. However, this "miracle" is based on two rather important assumptions: a) that she actually had Parkinson's, and b) that she is indeed cured. Neither of which I can be convinced of simply by reading this article. I'd like to see the interview with the "astonished" neurologist, and read the findings of the Vatican inquiry.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But I doubt all the motivation in the world can make someone cure themselves of Parkinson's Disease.

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously. However, this "miracle" is based on two rather important assumptions: a) that she actually had Parkinson's, and b) that she is indeed cured. Neither of which I can be convinced of simply by reading this article. I'd like to see the interview with the "astonished" neurologist, and read the findings of the Vatican inquiry.

[/ QUOTE ]

All fair points, and I'd love read the inquiry as well.

The Church conducts a notoriously rigorous investigation of possible miracles and enters each investigation with the presumption that a miracle didn't happen. Thinking to statistics, the Church will much soon commit a Type I error (stating no miracle took place when one occurred) rather than a Type II error (proclaiming an event to be a miracle that turns out to be fraudulant).
Old 04-11-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thinking to statistics, the Church will much soon commit a Type I error (stating no miracle took place when one occurred) rather than a Type II error (proclaiming an event to be a miracle that turns out to be fraudulant).

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be a much more relevant point if, say, miracles actually existed.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The Church conducts a notoriously rigorous investigation of possible miracles and enters each investigation with the presumption that a miracle didn't happen. Thinking to statistics, the Church will much soon commit a Type I error (stating no miracle took place when one occurred) rather than a Type II error (proclaiming an event to be a miracle that turns out to be fraudulant).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be pithy but how rigorous can an investigation into medical facts be if the organization doing the investigation believes the earth is 6000 years old.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If her Parkinson's comes back, will the Pope's sainthood be revoked?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:59 PM

I don't like the word skepticism in this context, as it seems to imply that there is some grain of potential truth that is being scrutinized.