Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 08:29 PM

Default 5 High at the Woods

Went home to visit Mommy 4 Easter. Obviously spent most of the time playing $20-$40 at the Woods. I'll post a few hands, the least interesting first.

Villian in this hand rarely not voluntarily put in money in a pot unless he has been in the blinds in over 3 hours of play. Although, in the blinds, I have seen him call 2 or 3 cold or semi cold with 74, 54 etc because "he can only win with a BB special."

For what its worth, my impression of him is not that of a nit just getting cold cards and does not have imagination. He is up fairly big on the night from hitting his blind hands. I would expect him to be break-even or a slight loser in the game.

He thinks of me as TAG with imagination. I raised the previous hand.

I raise 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the cut-off because the button will fold and the small blind will fold.

He 3-bets in the BB. Only time he raised pre-flop before was when he capped with AKs on the button. 3 bet an XxXsXs flop and then bet the turn and river without improvement and lost to QQ.

Flop comes 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I [censored] you not.

He bets, I raise, he calls.

Turn comes 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He bets, I raise, He 3 towns, I know he has an overpair and . . . I . . .
Old 04-09-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Re: 5 High at the Woods

4 bet
Old 04-09-2007, 08:35 PM

I'd just go ahead and cap it. I doubt this guy is going to fold an overpair, he might lose his nerve and check-call the river, and if he's got something like KK or QQ, an overcard on the river might slow him down (if he's a bad hand-reader).

Plus if he's got AA and he's one of those guys that refuses to ever put anyone else on quads, then you might get to cap both turn and river (unlikely, but it could happen).
Old 04-09-2007, 08:53 PM

you can't 6 bet if you don't 4 bet first.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:53 PM

is 4 bets a cap?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:29 AM

Not heads up
Old 04-09-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is dream. In this situation he'll take a few more bets to put you on a 5 than he would in a full hand -- these steal vs. blind hands are about psych and outplaying, so he's going to get into a whose-overpair-is-bigger fight. Hopefully he has KK or AA.

But calling sucks for many reasons: 1) you don't get to 6-bet and maybe 8-bet; and 2) a card can come on the river to kill your action (like an A or K if he has JJ or whatever). Easy 4-bet. If he folds, he wasn't going to give you much more action anyway.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You took the words right out of my mouth. There's absolutely no way he's folding an overpair at this point, so your option is to call now and raise the river, which I can basically guarantee means that he will only call whether he has 66 or AA. I'm assuming you like money, so I'd go with the other route which means keep raising now and hopefully he will have a big pair and over play it by 5 betting at which point you can 6 bet and profit. The described villain can never fold a full house no matter how obvious it is you have quads.

BTW if you get another 3 on the river you will have what is known as an ultra full house, the second strongest holding in Texas Holdem poker, only beaten by the ultra straight flush. I've never seen an ultra straight flush, but I've made a couple ultra full houses.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW if you get another 3 on the river you will have what is known as an ultra full house, the second strongest holding in Texas Holdem poker, only beaten by the ultra straight flush. I've never seen an ultra straight flush, but I've made a couple ultra full houses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've made an ultra straight flush. I had the Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and the board became K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Unfortunately nobody had the 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in their hand.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:49 AM

actually he checkraised you on the turn... i was sitting 2 to your left.