Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Brag: Discovered Progressive Pot Games

Home game was slow the other night and someone suggested dealer's choice with some progressive pot games, Guts and Inbetween. I have fallen in love with these games, so much more exciting than Hold Em.

One guy brought up another game called Black Chicago but wouldn't give the rules b/c he was stuck a lot and said those pots get too ridiculous. Anyone know how to play this game or any other progressive pot games that entice tons of action? Gracias.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Brag: Discovered Progressive Pot Games

there is a progressive pot game at a home game i once played, can't remember what it is called, but two cards are turned over, and you can pass, or bet any amount up to the pot size. if the next card is in between the other 2 in value you win whatever you bet out of the pot. if you pass it goes on to the next player. I didn't see many people betting when they should pass, but lots of people would bet less than pot on things like Q4.

Oh and there was a rule that if a card came out that was the same as one of the two cards, you had to put double your bet into the pot. This screwed me once. I got K4, bet the pot, K, bad beat. the pot was large at the time due to numerous bad beats.

edit: lol, you mentioned inbetween, I think that is what it is called. I really like that game.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is a progressive pot game at a home game i once played, can't remember what it is called, but two cards are turned over, and you can pass, or bet any amount up to the pot size. if the next card is in between the other 2 in value you win whatever you bet out of the pot. if you pass it goes on to the next player. I didn't see many people betting when they should pass, but lots of people would bet less than pot on things like Q4.

Oh and there was a rule that if a card came out that was the same as one of the two cards, you had to put double your bet into the pot. This screwed me once. I got K4, bet the pot, K, bad beat. the pot was large at the time due to numerous bad beats.

edit: lol, you mentioned inbetween, I think that is what it is called. I really like that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

acey-duecey... Great Game
Old 04-09-2007, 04:49 PM

I've also heard that game referred to as "Post"
(ie. when you draw the same card as one of the two, you hit the post and have to pay double)
Old 04-09-2007, 05:04 PM

Acey-deucey is the devil.
Another big pot game is two-thirds, which may be "black Chicago." The three categories are best high spade down, best low spade down, and best hand. If no one has two of the three, the pot stays and the game starts over, with everyone who didn't fold re-anteing and getting new hands. It can be fun, but the skill component is somewhere between minimal and nonexistent.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:08 PM

2 games some of my degen friends play:

Man or Mouse: Everyone Antes, everyone dealt two cards. Left of dealer declares man or mouse (in or out) then left of him declares back to dealer. Everyone who manned (stayed in) shows their cards and the best hand wins the pot, the losers pay the pot. If it folds around to dealer, dealer must turn over at least Q high to win the pot or everyone re-antes.

Shotgun: Everyone dealt 3 cards, 3's and 9's are wild. Everyone holds their cards up and at the same time either drops them if they are out or holds them if they are in. You get to discard and draw up to 3 cards. Best three card hand of those who are in wins, losers pay the pot. If only 1 person stays in, he must face a four card hand dealt off the top of the deck. If he loses he pays the pot. If no one stays in, everyone re-antes.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Man or Mouse: Everyone Antes, everyone dealt two cards. Left of dealer declares man or mouse (in or out) then left of him declares back to dealer. Everyone who manned (stayed in) shows their cards and the best hand wins the pot, the losers pay the pot. If it folds around to dealer, dealer must turn over at least Q high to win the pot or everyone re-antes.

Shotgun: Everyone dealt 3 cards, 3's and 9's are wild. Everyone holds their cards up and at the same time either drops them if they are out or holds them if they are in. You get to discard and draw up to 3 cards. Best three card hand of those who are in wins, losers pay the pot. If only 1 person stays in, he must face a four card hand dealt off the top of the deck. If he loses he pays the pot. If no one stays in, everyone re-antes.

[/ QUOTE ]

That last structure seems like it was invented by boba fett or something, like wtf?
Old 04-09-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we play this shotgun game except that when everyone drops, you see who dropped the best hand and they pay the pot.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:12 PM

we made up a game called masterpiece.

its a progressive drop game. everyone antes. first round you get 3 cards and 3s are wild. best hand is obv aaa. you drop if you think you have the best hand. if others drop the losers must pay the winner the pots size. if only one person drops he gets a "flag." game ends when someone gets 5 flags. (can be played with any amount of flags). if 2 ppl drop and they tie both match the pot lololololol.

keep your 3 cards and get dealt 2 more so you have 5 cards. now only 5s are wild. drop again.

get 2 more cards so you have 7. now only 7s are wild and drop again.

now reshuffle and ante again and play until someone gets enough flags.

crazy game, we reoutinely got $100+ pots using 1$ antes.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
we made up a game called masterpiece.

its a progressive drop game. everyone antes. first round you get 3 cards and 3s are wild. best hand is obv aaa. you drop if you think you have the best hand. if others drop the losers must pay the winner the pots size. if only one person drops he gets a "flag." game ends when someone gets 5 flags. (can be played with any amount of flags). if 2 ppl drop and they tie both match the pot lololololol.

keep your 3 cards and get dealt 2 more so you have 5 cards. now only 5s are wild. drop again.

get 2 more cards so you have 7. now only 7s are wild and drop again.

now reshuffle and ante again and play until someone gets enough flags.

crazy game, we reoutinely got $100+ pots using 1$ antes.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't make this game up since I used to play it in high school and college.