Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 03:17 AM

Default Anyone know who Gaucho staked in the FTP NL 200/400 game?

Below is a quote from Gaucho's blog. Anyone know who he staked?

[ QUOTE ]
life tilt...
Today I made a truly horrible decision, and was punished for it. A friend IM'ed me, asking for a stake in the 200/400 game that was running on FTP. I looked who was in the game, and I saw the lineup. Aba, who many consider the best NLHE player in the world, was in the game. So was David Benyamine, the biggest winner in PLO but a known loser in NLHE. That said, he is a very dangerous lag. Helge Larsen, Vaga_Lion (a known nit), and Serb (Nenad Medic) rounded out the lineup. I asked my friend if he thought he had an edge, and he replied that he did. I took up his offer, and off he was. The first four pots he played, he was cr shoved AI on the flop, forcing him to fold top pair. The other time he called 97o out of the blinds (Aba raised from sb, he called from BB), floated a gutshot on a two flush board, and bet a board pairing turn card, and was called down by aba by bottom pair. Also, he did not bluff the river when the flush hit, making the one reasonable hand he could have held. Aba's bottom pair was good. It was like watching a train wreck.

The next hand, he double barreled on a ridiculous board. He raised from LP with a4. Vaga (nit) called from blinds. Flop is K35 two clubs. Vaga chk calls. Vaga never has anything worse than a King or a flush draw here. Turn Q, non club. Vaga will never fold a king, two pair, or a flush draw on this board, yet my friend bets, obv. gets cr shoved on, and has to fold A4. The other hand was a cooler.

I could care less about how my friend played, I am utterly livid at my poor decision making. I blew a huge sum of money (40k) on a pipe dream high variance gamble. I work so hard at my medium stakes games that for me to do something stupid like this is basically a slap in the face to all the hard work I have done. I really learned a number of important lessons from this, and I will not make the same mistakes again. I also learned that I am not able to tolerate such risks in investments I can't control.

EDIT: I was so infuriated, after going out to a nice dinner, I decided to take my anger out on my opponents at the poker table. I absolutely demolished everyone I played HU, and won 23k in about an hour. Almost recovered from the idiotic mistake. An expensive lesson, but one which I will learn a lot from in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-04-2007, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Anyone know who Gaucho staked in the FTP NL 200/400 game?

grim?
Old 04-04-2007, 04:09 AM

no wai
Old 04-04-2007, 04:14 AM

Em2?
Old 04-04-2007, 04:25 AM

It was Strassa.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The next hand, he double barreled on a ridiculous board. He raised from LP with a4. Vaga (nit) called from blinds. Flop is K35 two clubs. Vaga chk calls. Vaga never has anything worse than a King or a flush draw here. Turn Q, non club. Vaga will never fold a king, two pair, or a flush draw on this board, yet my friend bets, obv. gets cr shoved on, and has to fold A4.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw this hand and IIRC it was strassa2.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:59 AM

This is totally absurd. I mean if you are going to post this, why even leave out that it was me.

There was a pretty good 2-4 game, I asked you if you wanted half, you said yes. I stand by evecy hand I played. I guess I have to defend myself?

Hand 1:

I raise 98 or T9 I forget on the button. Benyamine calls from BB. Flop 954 or something two spades. Benyamine checks, I bet 2k into 2800, benyamine CR all in for 40k I fold.

Hand 2:

I raise A4ss in CO, button calls, Vaga calls in SB. Flop K53 2 clubs. Check check I bet around pot, Vaga calls. Turn offsuit Q. Check, I bet 3/4 pot (9k into 13k), Vaga CR all in for 25k more.

Do I even need to explain myself? Sure, checking allows me to peel to anywhere between 3-7 outs, but I was trying to represent a strong hand. I would never check behind a big hand here on this board, and I thoought it would be difficult for him to CR all in with some sort of low club draw, or just a king. There are reasons to bet, there are reasons to check, I chose to bet.

Hand 3:
Aba raises SB, I call bb with 97o. Flop comes T64 2 spades. Aba bets 2k or something I call. Turn 6, Aba checks, I pot for 5400 or whatever. Aba calls. River Ks, he checks, I check. Thought process (do you really need this???): aba raises pf and bets the flop with zillions of hands, and will fold air here and be giving up on the turn a decent percentage. I didnt bluff the river because I for some reason convinced myself that he would call light here and that there was a chance he was CRing with a boat or had a flush. He also would probably expect me to check a ten behind on the river, thus making a light call a possibility. He had 34.

Hand 4:

Helge raises, I reraise with QQ on button to 5kish, he calls. Flop 9 high all hearts I have Qh. He check calls 9k bet. Turn offsuit 7, he leads all in for ~pot I call. He has 77. I miss.

Hand 5: Im down to my last 5k or so right after this QQ hand. Aba raises to 1400 UTG I have QQ I shove next to act, Helge has AA in the BB.

The bottom line is this. I asked you for action, you gave it to me. I am not a [censored] moron. Afterwards you bash my play, tell me I [censored] up real bad, blah blah. I disagree. This is an aggressive 2-4 game and 2 BI in nothing, it happens. Calling what I did a trainwreck shows a total lack of general knowledge about that game. Afterwards you were whining even about the first benyamine hand, saying I should call!

You send me my money and seem very agitated at me. Then you call me out on your blog (please defend yourself by saying you didnt say my name).

The bottom line is this, everyone in this world has been in your position. I take action all the time, whether its in the stock market, poker room, golf course, etc. The bottom line is this, when I stake someone and they win, I dont feel bad about taking my portion. When they lose, I dont give them [censored] for losing, I just pay up. If I thought they played bad, I would tell them (privately).

For someone as bright as you, who is going into the world of finance which is filled with risk and where you everyone has days where nothing goes right, I am surprised you handled this situation so poorly. Learn to just accept a loss and not irrationally lash out, especially a loss that you had to assume was extremely possible. Feel free to post these hands in HSNL or give them to your other poker friends or even Aba (gasp) and see what they say, I stand by all my moves and I did my best. But most of all, dont [censored] call me out in public ever again for something that should definitely be kept in private. It's a pretty [censored] way to treat a friend who has been very good to you. Wasnt I the one who saw you playing like a total idiot in a club in NY and offered to help you out with your game? Didnt I take you and your friends out to a Mets game (field box)? Don't I let you sweat my hands whenever you ask or help you out with a poker question whenever?

Im disgusted and slightly hurt.

-Jason
Old 04-04-2007, 05:05 AM

btw a nit never has a set on this board either on the turn
Old 04-04-2007, 05:19 AM

Yeah, those hands all seem pretty reasonable. Gaucho comes across as a jerk with his blog post. Maybe he was still in shock at losing that much, but c'mon man, you knew you could've lost that cash. And outing a friend of yours in public and pretty much making him sound like a dumb donk is rude.

Strassa, let's go to a Mets game.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:22 AM

gaucho is out of line here IMO