Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 12:31 AM

Default (Way OT) What are you graduating seniors doing?

I'm just wondering what you graduating seniors who beat midstakes are planning on doing next year. Obviously we make far more money right now than we could with any job. But with current online poker climate, are you guys looking for jobs? Just planning to buy/rent a place and grind it out? Anyway just generally interested, I'm personally considering playing poker full time, taking a full time job, and going to law school. Interesed to hear other opinions.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:01 AM

Default Re: (Way OT) What are you graduating seniors doing?

poker full time for atleast 1 year
Old 04-03-2007, 01:04 AM

law school
Old 04-03-2007, 01:10 AM

Non-profit in Northern Ireland for a year, then joining a management consulting firm in NYC.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lawl school

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 04-03-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lawl school

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

nice fyp
Old 04-03-2007, 04:30 PM

to those who are going for online poker for the near future. let's say 3 years down the line you've made $200K/year, so you've got $600K.

your bored of playing and the games are getting tough, the money isn't that good anymore.

what do you do now?

trying to get a finance job with good prospects will be very hard. there will be buzzing graduates to pick instead.

other than that, you'll have to accept a lower paid job without a decent rising pay scale. there will be some exceptions and for those of you with contacts in the business you may be fine.

just this is my fear. if i go pro, what do i do in 3 years time? i wont of made a fortune, $200K/year may sound good but i should be earning that year after year in my 30s if I worked at my job in my remaining 7 years in my 20s.

I wish I could search for a previous poster when this was discussed a little 6 months ago. it was a guy who had graduated, made some nice money at poker, but then 3 years since he said he became very bored and that his life had no real purpose. but trying to find a job was hard given his lack of experience and his spell of 3 years as a poker player.

I am in no way saying the poker route is wrong, it could well be right I am making a mistake by accepting a very dull, tiring, hard working job earning $50K rising to $60K after 3 years. [censored] [censored] [censored]. But the hope after that things will pick up.

Being a student for the past 2 years with a lot of disposible money (given i've never told my parents how much i have, i've always felt it doesnt matter how much i spend, also its hard not to spend $300 on a day+night out when you can make it back in less than 2 hours). This has risen my expectations I guess. I've always wanted to be minted. Be the rich guy with his pimping house going with the fit wife. Now rather than hoping to do that in my 20s, im hoping to do that in my 30s, and enjoy the challenge of the ride up there in my 20s.

I feel i'll definitely make it if I try hard in my 20s with a job, plus some poker and business ideas on the side. But if I go down the poker route, I may think to myself in 3 years time, good god I blew that opportunity to become a guarenteed high income earner in my 30s.

sidenote: I always get like this whenever I have academic work, make this post 1 week after my last exam (in 7 weeks time they end) and I'll be thinking how I must go pro, having earnt $8K in a week [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

sidenote 2: for some people the job route will be right, for others the poker route will be right, im just trying to work out which is better, and fearing poker will drive my insane after a few years, im taking the supposedly safer option
Old 04-04-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lawl school

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

nice fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

Bobbo, the title of the thread is GRADUATING SENIORS.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
poker full time for atleast 1 year

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-03-2007, 01:17 AM

management consulting in Chi town