Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 05:15 PM

Default final table tourny

recently i was in a tournament, final table, with 7 ppl left, i was 3rd in chips with 405000.on button i raised to 90,000, with blinds 15-30,000. the bb raised to 200k i called. on a flop of 9-7-2, he pushed for 300k. i called and he showed down k-9 suited. prior to this hand he had 600,000, and was chip leader...should i have called, folded or pushed preflop with the 8-8
Old 04-02-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Re: final table tourny

Personally, with no reads I would of folded here. I don't want to get mixed up with the biggest stack at the table and a reraise could mean any number of things.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:52 PM

fold on the flop, or preflop?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:54 PM

I guess I like the button raise with K9s here, and the raise size seems fine if you think it will generally fold the blinds. You're getting close to the point where I'd be AI with this hand with only the blinds behind me... it's a marginal hand, and you're putting out 1/4 of your stack for the blinds.

Problem here is there's no mention of your read on him, or what your table image is. You're in a pretty critical spot when he reraises - depending on that you could make a case for pushing, folding, even just calling - the latter only in exceptional circumstances.

His reraise PF commits him, and pretty much you too if you call. You're probably not that far behind whatever he has here, so get it done PF and push there if he's aggressive. A decent player realizes he's got money already in the pot, and you might well be on a positional raise.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:03 PM

Sorry, you had the 88, not the K9s...

No folding here, I'd just push. As played, after his reraise I'd be all-in. I might just raise 80k or something if he was kind of weak-tight and didn't defend.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:03 PM

gonso u misread this, he had 88, his opponent had K9. Never flat call here, it makes no sense. You are both pot committed anyway, and with 88 you are bound to see overcards and have no idea where u stand. U either need to move in or fold, and without reads it's pretty difficult to tell which one you should have done in this case.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gonso u misread this, he had 88,

[/ QUOTE ]

Addressed above

[ QUOTE ]
Never flat call here, it makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

THere are some exceptional cases where you could. You do have position here, and there are a few players you could exploit with position because they're weak enough to check when they miss (and not be check-raising). In any case that reltaed to the K9 hand

[ QUOTE ]
U either need to move in or fold

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think folding is an option here...