Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 01:41 AM

Default asperger syndrome

Anybody have any thoughts on this subject? Anybody who thinks they have it can chime in with any thoughts at all.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:58 AM

Default Re: asperger syndrome

I'm pretty sure my Western Civ. professor has Asperger syndrome. He is a very intelligent man but a mess socially. He makes awkward jokes and always wears a crumpled suit. He talks very very quietly and never makes eye contact, even when talking heads up. When he gets angry he talks very very calmly but slowly his voice picks up pace and then he explodes.

Him and I have talked quite frequently and about personal subjects but I don't want to bring up the subject as most of our relationship revolves around Henry David Thoreau.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:52 AM

thanks. More replies like this. I want experiences and examples.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:49 AM

I worked with people with autism for a few years, and a few of them had this form of autism. I think they were more severe cases though, as its an opinion that people like bill gates have it as well.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:12 PM

I am a special education teacher at the local high school. We have had an increasing number of students with all forms of autism coming through our system.

Living in Silicon Valley, there is a constant inside joke in the district about how large of an Asperger's population lives in the community. Many of the engineers etc. exhibit many traits of Asperger's.

Anyway, I have met many people of whom I have thought could be diagnosed with Asperger's. Especially the parents of some of my students!!!
Old 04-01-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a special education teacher at the local high school. We have had an increasing number of students with all forms of autism coming through our system.

Living in Silicon Valley, there is a constant inside joke in the district about how large of an Asperger's population lives in the community. Many of the engineers etc. exhibit many traits of Asperger's.

Anyway, I have met many people of whom I have thought could be diagnosed with Asperger's. Especially the parents of some of my students!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
can you give more details on why you think this?
Old 04-01-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody have any thoughts on this subject? Anybody who thinks they have it can chime in with any thoughts at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Asperger's has come up a lot in these forums in recent weeks it seems.

Do you have more specific questions about it? One issue many with Asperger's have is dealing with open-endedness, so if you're trying to get information from those with it you'd be better off asking things more specifically.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Asperger's has come up a lot in these forums in recent weeks it seems.

Do you have more specific questions about it? One issue many with Asperger's have is dealing with open-endedness, so if you're trying to get information from those with it you'd be better off asking things more specifically.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-03-2007, 07:44 PM

I might have a mild form of this. It seems like everyday I say/do something completely logical in my mind and other people are taken aback by it. I understand the social constucts that I violate, but I see them as meaningless.

Just the other day, I was at a big event with thousands of other people while the National Anthem started playing. I was on the phone with a friend talking loudly over the music, and several people including my friends turned and scowled at me. A couple of my friends were really embarassed and one told me to shut up. I was not embarrassed AT ALL. Seriously, didn't bother me at all.

The "who care what other people think" mentality pervades my life. When I have to operate with people who can have a direct negative impact on my life i.e. boss, close relatives, I get really anxious knowing I will have a hard time communicating effectively with them. I am constantly having to intuallectualize what their facial reactions mean. Any social talent I have is intuallectually generated.

Is there anyone out there that actually has been diagnosed with Asperger's?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:51 PM

There was no Asperger's in my day but I was diagnosed as high-functioning autistic, which is much the same thing. You are not Asperger's. Asperger's do care what people think, they just don't necessarily know how to interpret what they say or think. I believe the technical term for what you have is assholery. "Brought up in a barn" was my mother's term for it. Put down the cell phone and stand up while the National Anthem is playing. Nobody cares what you think is meaningless. It's about respect for other people. The most deeply impacted Asperger's folks can't figure out what to do or how to show that they respect other people's feelings in the first place. That doesn't mean that they are unfeeling jerks. They do care and they do have feelings, they simply don't know how to show it in an appropriate manner. Think Albert Einstein. A great guy with his heart in the right place wanting to bring world peace and all that good happy crappy but didn't even remember how to comb his hair. That's Asperger's. It's on a continuum and can be much more severe for some people than others. When I was young, there was no question that I was ill. I did not speak, I just screamed and I had difficulty passing a hearing test. You don't get to call yourself Asperger's because you think it is a cool way to call yourself smarter than other people. Next question?

[ QUOTE ]

Just the other day, I was at a big event with thousands of other people while the National Anthem started playing. I was on the phone with a friend talking loudly over the music, and several people including my friends turned and scowled at me. A couple of my friends were really embarassed and one told me to shut up. I was not embarrassed AT ALL. Seriously, didn't bother me at all.

The "who care what other people think" mentality pervades my life. When I have to operate with people who can have a direct negative impact on my life i.e. boss, close relatives, I get really anxious knowing I will have a hard time communicating effectively with them. I am constantly having to intuallectualize what their facial reactions mean. Any social talent I have is intuallectually generated.

Is there anyone out there that actually has been diagnosed with Asperger's?

[/ QUOTE ]