Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Free Weights vs Machines

Everyone claims free weights are better, and I don't doubt that they do a better job in most cases. But my main concern is this:

"[F]ree weights require the help of a spotter, and result in more injuries than machines." LINK

Eventually I'd like to post about the machines I'm currently using and what I can do instead, but I will need to address the fact that a) I'm 40 years old, b) I have a prior knee injury which I am worried about re-injuring, and c) I won't have a spotter at the gym.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Free Weights vs Machines

most lifts that will be recommended here are compound movements that can/should be done in a power rack or on a squat rack, use the pins...don't lift weights you can't use...get correct form using light weights etc...
Old 03-28-2007, 06:37 PM

The only lift which truly requires a spotter is barbell bench/decline/incline press, and back squats if you don't have access to a power rack. Learn proper form with light weight and you will never need a spotter.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"[F]ree weights require the help of a spotter, and result in more injuries than machines." LINK

[/ QUOTE ]

What you quoted is only half true. The reason more people are injured using free weights is because of inexperience. The benefit of machines is that they don't allow you to go over your limits. I have used free weights for 12-15 years on and off. Played college football etc and have never injured myself. I personally prefer free weights with a couple machines for hard to work muscle groups. But there is nothing at all wrong with using machines for everything, if you go to a large gym with a large assortment of machines you should have a machine to focus each and every muscle group.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you go to a large gym with a large assortment of machines you should have a machine to focus each and every muscle group.

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:44 PM

The reason more people are injured using free weights is that most people who go to the gym have [censored] form. For example average joe tries to do a military press with a barbell, first he deadlifts it probably with a rounded back, then he might hurt himself bringing it up to his chest. But if you have studied the technique and know exactly what you're doing, these motions are very safe. Practice on low weight and get a professional to critique your form. It's your spinal cord so you don't really want to take risks with it.

I think it's good to learn various forms of each exercise. For example, simply learning to benchpress with dumbbells instead of barbells will give you greater ROM, which means longterm you will have more strength and flexibility. For you aesthetic people, your pecs will be bigger and more defined, and your triceps. Squats will give you 12-pack abs....unless there is fat covering them. Free weight exercises simply tend to be more natural and have a greater ROM, which is exactly why they're better in the first place. Now if you're pushing the intensity and reps on every machine in the gym, sure you're going to get a good workout. But if you had spent that same energy on some overhead dumbbell squats, dumbbell benchpress, and barbell deadlifts your strength gains would be much greater. And you will gain more flexibility, which is going to prevent injuries over the long-term.

cliff notes: Free weights are better than machines because they give more ROM and because they're more time*energy-efficient.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Practice on low weight and get a professional to critique your form.

[/ QUOTE ]
einbert,
Good post...

You can also find good advice online including videos that will help you with form.
Here and Here too
Old 03-28-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But there is nothing at all wrong with using machines for everything, if you go to a large gym with a large assortment of machines you should have a machine to focus each and every muscle group.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a lot wrong with using the Smith Machine. A lot.

While machines help isolate muscle groups (which is good for some reasons), free weights help you with coordination and make you use your stabilizer muscles, which is infinitely more beneficial.

As I always say, just doing squats and deadlifts makes you ahead of 80-90% of the people in the gym alone.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to ask about the Smith machine. Because it forces you to keep the bar straight and level I didn't see any benefit at all over the regular "pin in the weight stack" type machines (except that you can use whatever bench you want). I guess the same can be said of any of the plate loaded machines.

The gym staff definitely steer new people to the machines in front. There is a separate area for the cable row machines along with the Smith machines, and then an area with the plate loaded stuff, and behind that are the free weights. I was not shown anything in this back area with the exception of some dumbbell lunges (which are really tough on my knees).
Old 03-29-2007, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No there isn't. It isolates certain muscles that you need to isolate. If you are a 7fter with no coordination then I dont' know what to tell you. 90% of the people who do squats do them wrong (me included) and mess up things that the Smith Machine wouldn't let them mess up. Ex. Back, knees etc.