Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 08:12 PM

Default *World Golf Championship* Doral....Discussion Thread

There has to be a couple of you out there who are interested in what this weekend has to bring.

Tiger has the lead by two right now but there are a host of BIG names right behind him. It's the same old story but this could go a number of ways.

It's very hard not to look ahead to Augusta of course, but with this field/leaderboard it almost has that major feel.

I'm a huge Tiger fan but I'm also very excited to see what comes of Henrick Stenson in the near future, and this week is another part of that process. I know he wants nothing more than to play in the last group on Sunday with TW tied for the lead. If he beats Tiger the first time they play in that type situation, the media will jump all over it saying he is THE guy to replace Tiger on his throne.

Nothing is a given in golf (except Tiger ownage) but Stenson seems like the real deal.

I must also say how happy I am to see Phil sitting at +5. If I can only be so fortunate after two rounds come Augusta

Should be some good golf this weekend

Anybody care?
Old 03-23-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Re: *World Golf Championship* Doral....Discussion Thread

Throw me on the "I care a little" bus
Old 03-24-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tiger has the lead by two right now but there are host of BIG names right behind him.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no name other than Tiger in golf that deserves captial big. I like Henrick but I haven't yet see him display the variety of short game shots that he would need to win at Augusta. I think there are only 20 or so players that have any chance of winning the masters... Henirck is among them about at the same odds I would give CH3.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:12 AM

Jason Sobel said this in an ESPN.com column on Wednesday

Sobel - "When Henrik Stenson can ascend to No. 5 in the world despite playing only seven career majors and Nick O'Hern can reach No. 17 without any career wins on the PGA or European tours, the Official World Golf Ranking needs some fixing."

Stenson is making a name for himself and deserves to be considered a top notch player. It would be great to see him in the last group or 2nd to last group on Sunday. Ogilvy and Singh are also lurking. This does have the feel of a major in a way.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:21 AM

I too want to see how Stenson's short game holds up under Augusta type pressure/conditions.

His only downside it seems may very well be in the touch department around the greens.

Jason Sobel is an idiot at times.....this would be one of them. The two year revolving points system is almost perfect IMO. I don't want to go through and break down all of Stenson's pts that are counting towards his ranking right now, but in my opinion he deserves it no question.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I too want to see how Stenson's short game holds up under Augusta type pressure/conditions.

His only downside it seems may very well be in the touch department around the greens.

Jason Sobel is an idiot at times.....this would be one of them. The two year revolving points system is almost perfect IMO. I don't want to go through and break down all of Stenson's pts that are counting towards his ranking right now, but in my opinion he deserves it no question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was pretty vague last night in my earlier post. I agree that the World Ranking system is legit. I posted Sobel's comments to frame him as ignorant on this topic (i.e. he slams Stenson and then two days later Stenson is in the thick of a big time tourney that features all the big time players).
Old 03-24-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I must also say how happy I am to see Phil sitting at +5. If I can only be so fortunate after two rounds come Augusta

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, a Phil-hater. how original.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil is pretty much a fan favorite wherever he goes...how this is original is beyond me.

Although men with boobs generally aren't very popular so this is a tough one no doubt.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil is pretty much a fan favorite wherever he goes...how this is original is beyond me.

Although men with boobs generally aren't very popular so this is a tough one no doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]

the "how original" part was actually a touch of sarcasm. around here, all but a few hate Phil.

oh, and a man-boobs joke, too. how original. in all seriousness tho, Phil is in much better shape this year.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:16 PM

Tiger have this in the bag?