Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 04:11 PM

Default JJ, trapped in the middle on the river

Only played an orbit and a half at the table so far. UTG+1 seems to be loose and passive, but hadn't made it to a showdown yet. Button has been tighter and more aggressive than UTG+1, but he has check/called down with an underpair on a 2 broadway board.

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.50/$1
7 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7.5SB, 3 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6.75BB, 3 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6.75BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero ???

I simply called the flop raise since I wouldn't like to see about half the deck on the turn. Turn was relatively safe, so I was expecting the button to bet again and I was going to raise that bet, but he didn't oblige. On the river, if I call one, then Button raises and UTG+1 3bets, I'm folding for sure. Other than that, I'm not really sure what I want to do. Also, if anyone wants to suggest a different action on a different street, go for it.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: JJ, trapped in the middle on the river

The flop is fine I guess, but I'd probably 3-bet it in the moment and then reevaluate on the turn. It's only 3 handed so you don't have to be that worried about overcards. The turn sucks and I guess he was going for a free card here or maybe he just got scared because everybody called. When a loose passive comes to life on the river, after cold calling on the flop, when every draw hits and you have a guy who was potentially going for a free card behind you, I guess it's a fold. You have under-represented your hand so it makes you want to call, but the pot is small enough that I wouldn't be that concerned.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:26 PM

3-bet the flop like a man would do.

As played I ewwwwwwww...

based on UTG+1 cold-call on the flop and Button's Flop raise then Turn Check-Thru it appears that both of your opponent's are on some sort of draw.

The river completes several of such draws, so I would fold this.

See what being a wimp on the flop can do to you?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:42 PM

On the turn, I'd be afraid to have it checked through, giving a free card to anyone drawing for diamonds. So I'm betting out. If Button raises me, so much the better.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:47 PM

On this flop I definitely 3-bet with UTG in. Then I keep the aggression up on the turn.

As played, I fold the river. UTG's play stinks of a flush.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:51 PM

3-bet the flop duder!
Old 03-23-2007, 09:10 AM

Ok. I would 3bet this flop heads up, and apparently I should do the same with two other players in the hand. How many opponents would want in the hand before taking a line like mine, or do you just never do it?
Old 03-23-2007, 09:18 AM

Nix... sometimes HU we can do this... but a good line might be to b/c the flop, donk-bet/3-bet the turn. The reason for the donk-bet is so that he doesn't take a free card for the flush draw. But I wouldn't do this line much. A flush draw is going to pay you off for a 3-bet on teh flop anyway.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok. I would 3bet this flop heads up, and apparently I should do the same with two other players in the hand. How many opponents would want in the hand before taking a line like mine, or do you just never do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, you got a guy trapped who is probably drawing, or calling with a worse made hand, make him pay.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:21 AM

*grunch*

Button's actions here look like he either a) thinks you were blind stealing or b) is on a draw (or both). Either way, I think you should be re-raising the flop, and leading the turn. When UTG+1 wakes up on the river with just about the worst card possible, it's time to bail.