Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Fold the overpair?

1st rotation in a 100NL PaaaaarrtyPoker game. Villain has just shown a pure bluff win with 6 high the previous hand firing two streets to fold the other player. Otherwise, he is unknown.

I have $100, he covers.

I raise JJ in MP to $4, folded to Villain in BB who re-pops to $13. I call.

($26ish) Flop is 669r

Villain bets $18.

The best action is?

(My thoughts)
Raise: I might find out where i'm at, but I'm pretty pot committed with over half my stack in the pot.
Push: Only called by hands that beat me? TT might call, AK won't, the rest slaughter me.
Call: Pot is getting too damn big no? What would I be doing if the turn blanks?
Fold: He might be folding me with AK, not good either.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Fold the overpair?

I call here.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:09 PM

Call looks good. Shoving any blank turn, too. Folding is ridicolous. And Raising/Pushing lets him play perfectly.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:21 PM

I dont mind a call, but whats the line if:

a. Turn is scary (AKQ) and he bets again?
b. Turn is blank and he checks (Push lets him play perfectly again)
c. Turn is scary and he checks -- I assume check behind.

I agree push lets him play perfectly, and fold is too weak.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call looks good. Shoving any blank turn, too. Folding is ridicolous. And Raising/Pushing lets him play perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]I raise here alot.I dont think you can rule out AK AQ here.Of the hands we beat these are just as likely as a mid pair id think.Im not giving a free card with a vunerable hand here if i think im ahead.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:44 PM

[/ QUOTE ]I raise here alot.I dont think you can rule out AK AQ here.Of the hands we beat these are just as likely as a mid pair id think.Im not giving a free card with a vunerable hand here if i think im ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this post - if I think I am ahead, why would I flat call and give villain outs to catch an over? Even if half of my stack would be in the middle if I raise smallish, I still like this play if I can give villain poor odds to call with AQ or AK (without scaring him away with a shove). If he catches lightning in a bottle, so be it (at least I charged him for it). Villain will probably fold to most raises here anyway unless we're behind or he happens to have TT, but at least we leave the possibility open that he'll bluff shove if we raise smaller. If we plan to raise here, it seems like we're committing ourselves to the pot. I'd feel differently about this hand if both villain and I are deep stacked.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain will probably fold to most raises here anyway unless we're behind or he happens to have TT, but at least we leave the possibility open that he'll bluff shove if we raise smaller. If we plan to raise here, it seems like we're committing ourselves to the pot. I'd feel differently about this hand if both villain and I are deep stacked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not quite sure what you are saying here. If Villain reraises are you feeling confident that you are inducing a bluff R/R, in which case you are shoving. What do you do if he calls there? Let's say there are two scenarios 1. A blank hits the turn, do you push? 2. an A, K or Q hits...are you not pot committed at this point? BTW i am seldomly really pot committed and I think that there are people who get pot committed too easily.

(off topic, and i have looked through the SSNL abbreviations section but could not find it, what does FWIW mean? thanks)
Old 03-12-2007, 04:47 PM

For What It's Worth = FWIW

I'd like you guys to continue this discussion. This is a regularly occuring hand situation which I have yet to find a preferred line on. Since we don't often play the same opponents in SSNL I'd like some good reasons to take a line against an unknown.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ].
Old 03-12-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call looks good. Shoving any turn, too. Folding is ridicolous. And Raising/Pushing lets him play perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]