Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Wynn 10k Poker Classic Hand

I just got moved to this table, so not many reads. BB is a youngish guy (26?). I’ve never seen him before, but he looks like a tight solid professional or at least semi-professional player.

Wynn Classic 10k main event 8 handed
50/100 blinds

I open limp 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] utg+1. David Daneshgar limps utg+3. Button, SB, and BB all come along.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (500 in pot)

Checks to me, I bet 400. David Calls. BB Raises to 1400. I call. David Folds.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3700 in pot)

BB bets 2,000. I call fast.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7700 in pot)

BB bets 3,000 leaving him around 11,000 behind. I have him covered by a few thousand.

1) How do you like my play so far?

2) What should I do on the river? If you say raise, but not all-in, what do you do against an all-in reraise?

FWIW, part of my equity from calling the flop was that I could represent a club flush if it hit. Obviously whether or not I decide to represent it depends on how the turn plays out.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Wynn 10k Poker Classic Hand

Your play so far seems fine...I'm not sure about the limp utg+1, but I'm assuming you were confident that it would limp around this early in the tournament.

I would raise A/I. The pot is pretty large relative to his stack. He might think you are just bluffing a missed flush and will call with hands you are ahead of. I just don't think he has 77 here very often (although the flop check/raise seems to tell me that he likely has trips). I just feel like he would have bet more on the river if he was full.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your play so far seems fine...I'm not sure about the limp utg+1, but I'm assuming you were confident that it would limp around this early in the tournament.

I would raise A/I. The pot is pretty large relative to his stack. He might think you are just bluffing a missed flush and will call with hands you are ahead of. I just don't think he has 77 here very often (although the flop check/raise seems to tell me that he likely has trips). I just feel like he would have bet more on the river if he was full.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think that? He needs to bet his stronger hands low enough to make people think they have FE to push over. He also wants to get some value and with the way Justin's played the hand so far he's not likely to bet out if it's checked, so his best play with a boat is to bet small enough to give Justin an idea he has FE.

He could also easily have an overpair here, or even the nut flush draw. The question becomes:

What kind of worse hand is he going to call your raise with? What's he going to put you on? The only hand you beat that I think has any chance of calling a raise is an overpair. On the other hand I think you open yourself up way too much to be stacked by raising.

You aren't getting any better hands to fold by raising. You aren't gonna get called by much you're beating. And you're gonna be re-raised on things you're losing to.

Flat call.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:00 AM

Yeah. WarDekar is probably right. Some Nth level thinking going on there.

I think this is the difference between playing a $4/180 and $10K live tournament. In a cheap online MTT I would expect to get call by all sorts of hands that I beat. In a live 10K MTT, you probably only get called by a full or quads.

Calling is probably best. This is why I love posting first so I can see the mistakes I would make. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. WarDekar is probably right. Some Nth level thinking going on there.

I think this is the difference between playing a $4/180 and $10K live tournament. In a cheap online MTT I would expect to get call by all sorts of hands that I beat. In a live 10K MTT, you probably only get called by a full or quads.

Calling is probably best. This is why I love posting first so I can see the mistakes I would make. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can always post w/o reading the replies too.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:48 AM

Getting reraised would suck here. I don't see how you can do anything but call now. In an all limped pot aren't you WA/WB?
Old 03-09-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting reraised would suck here. I don't see how you can do anything but call now. In an all limped pot aren't you WA/WB?

[/ QUOTE ]

What does WA/WB mean on the river? Aren't you always WA/WB on the river?
Old 03-09-2007, 01:59 AM

By WA/WB I meant your hand has showdown value, and you're never getting a better hand to laydown here and I don't think there are too many hands you beat that he is calling you here with if you were to raise.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:00 AM

justin what is your plan if a flush hits and he makes the same bet on the river?
Old 03-09-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By WA/WB I meant your hand has showdown value, and you're never getting a better hand to laydown here and I don't think there are too many hands you beat that he is calling you here with if you were to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you think a bare 6 is a big part of his range?