Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Antisocial Personality Disorder (for sirio11)

Excellent poster and great guy sirio11 (I'll add him to the thread starter list next update) wanted to discuss this here:

[sirio post]
--

I read the following definition in the internets.

How many poker players fit this definition?

Antisocial Personality Disorder is also known as psychopathy or
sociopathy. Individuals with this disorder have little regard for the
feeling and welfare of others. As a clinical diagnosis it is usually
limited to those over age 18. It can be diagnosed in younger people
if the they commit isolated antisocial acts and do not show signs of
another mental disorder.

Antisocial Personality Disorder is chronic, beginning in adolescence
and continuing throughout adulthood. There are ten general
symptoms:

not learning from experience
no sense of responsibility
inability to form meaningful relationships
inability to control impulses
lack of moral sense
chronically antisocial behavior
no change in behavior after punishment
emotional immaturity
lack of guilt
self-centeredness

People with this disorder may exhibit criminal behavior. They may
not work. If they do work, they are frequently absent or may quit
suddenly. They do not consider other people's wishes, welfare or
rights. They can be manipulative and may lie to gain personal
pleasure or profit. They may default on loans, fail to provide child
support, or fail to care for their dependents adequately. High risk
sexual behavior and substance abuse are common. Impulsiveness,
failure to plan ahead, aggressiveness, irritability, irresponsibility,
and a reckless disregard for their own safety and the safety of
others are traits of the antisocial personality.

Socioeconomic status, gender, and genetic factors play a role.
Males are more likely to be antisocial than females. Those from
lower socioeconomic groups are more susceptible. A family history
of the disorder puts one at higher risk.

There are many theories about the cause of Antisocial Personality
Disorder including experiencing neglectful parenting as a child, low
levels of certain neurotransmitters in the brain, and belief that
antisocial behavior is justified because of difficult circumstances.
Psychotherapy, group therapy, and family therapy are common
treatments. The effects of medical treatment are inconclusive.
Unfortunately, most people with Antisocial Personality Disorder
reject treatment. Therefore, recovery rates are low.

--
[end sirio post]

I think this, and personality disorders in general, are a very interesting topic. And, yes, I agree that there's quite possibly a higher degree of some of this stuff within the poker and online community as compared to the general population.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Antisocial Personality Disorder (for sirio11)

In the "what's your personality disorder?" thread the majority of those who responded had test results pointing in this direction.

I doubt very many are true sociopaths though.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:01 PM

"Antisocial Personality Disorder" sounds like some BS term some shrink came up with, I mean it basicaly sounds like Introverted + Selfish, and calling it a disorder seems to imply that its not their fault that they are selfish, which is probably an important precept for a therapist who is charging his patient an hourly fee.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Antisocial Personality Disorder" sounds like some BS term some shrink came up with, I mean it basicaly sounds like Introverted + Selfish, and calling it a disorder seems to imply that its not their fault that they are selfish, which is probably an important precept for a therapist who is charging his patient an hourly fee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get introversion from? No one I've met who exhibits these characteristics has been someone I would call an introvert.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get introversion from? No one I've met who exhibits these characteristics has been someone I would call an introvert.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im confused. Its anti-social personality disorder, how can someone who is an extrovert suffer from an "anti-social" disorder?

JaBlue,

Well there are obviously different levels to these characteristics, they would have to give examples about what it means to "not care about other people", etc.

I just think "anti-social personality disorder" sounds like a gigantic category and is pyschobable.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im confused. Its anti-social personality disorder, how can someone who is an extrovert suffer from an "anti-social" disorder?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think in this context antisocial doesn't mean "not sociable" but rather unable to participate in society in an acceptable way. Think of someone who appears popular and outgoing, has a ton of acquaintances, but can't seem to maintain healthy close friendships and romantic relationships.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because people misuse the term, psychologically speaking, all the time. They say anti-social but just mean introverted. The clinical definition of anti-social has nothing to do with being introverted, as a quick read of the OP can confirm.

Anti-social people actively do things to hurt others and themselves, they don't keep to themselves the way an introvert does and they aren't shy. Ironically, almost all shy introverts are not anti-social and vice versa.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely see what you mean. I think in this case "antisocial" is better defined as behavior in which social norms and the rights of others is persistently violated. Not so much avoiding people or being introverted, but just having complete disregard for the welfare of other people.

As many serial killers are antisocial personalities, I believe a lot of "car salesman" types fit this as well. Charming, likeable, and completely manipulative or otherwise full of crap.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:08 PM

This is a subject of significant personal interest to me. W/ specific regard to antisocial personality disorder, there is a to me fascinating school of thought which regards the antisocial and histrionic personality disorders as essentially the masculine and feminine manifestations of the same disease:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histrio...ality_disorder

Read these over side by side and it seems to make a great deal of intuitive sense.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am somewhat introverted and very selfish/self-centered. That said, I exhibit none of the symptoms except:

no change in behavior after punishment
self-centeredness

I probably fit your definition of introverted+selfish, but I am definitely not a sociopath. I have a few friends who are the same way.