Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 02:48 PM

Default $2/$5 Flopped flush against a nit 300bbs deep

We are playing half PLO, half no limit. The game was full ring; but is down to six handed. The small blind has been incredibly nitty even though the table has gotten shorter. I do not have much experience in PLO; but the players are terrible and it is worth playing. FWIW I flop top set in the last hand and potted two streets and potted a wrap and flush draw the whole way earlier in the orbit. Villain is the small blind and probably views me as extremely loose.

Four players limp, villain completes in the SB. I look down at K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]JxTx and check. Six players to the flop.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain checks.
I bet $30.
Folds to the villain who C/R the pot limit.

What is your line? If you call, the turn bricks and does not pair the board. The villain leads the pot again.

Sorry if this is incredibly standard. Just checking since I am a hold em donk.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: $2/$5 Flopped flush against a nit 300bbs deep

stack sizes would help... also, I like folding here given that you said he probably views you as extremely loose.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stack sizes would help... also, I like folding here given that you said he probably views you as extremely loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

? This fact should increase the chance that the villain thinks that the hero will play any low flush or nothing at all since a loose player has a larger range?
Old 03-06-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehhh, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

The nittier the player the easier of a fold this is. Regardless of your image when a nitty player repots this and pots the turn you're basically deciding whether he's making a naked-ace bluff or not.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:50 PM

I am alluding to the fact the looser the hero's image is the less likely he's up against a naked bluff. this is why stack sizes matter her. Effectively you're calling your entire stack or villain's entire stack for whatever is in the pot right now. Over the long run, calling with the non-nut flush here is probably worse than calling with a set with sufficiently large stacks.

Also, OP said rest of teh table has been pretty nitty, increasing the chances of an a real flush
Old 03-06-2007, 04:06 PM

Sorry, villain has ~$1300 and I cover.

Edit: The table has not been playing nitty at all really. The hold em, in particular has been crazy due in large part to me straddling virtually every pot in the last three seats. (This is in Tunica and the Mississippi straddle is allowed.)

The Omaha was tighter than the hold em post flop obviously; but I would not say it is any tighter than a standard Omaha table.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:44 PM

This is a pretty close decision either way I think, so some more info if you care:

1) The villain is old, and wearing a gaudy cowboy getup. Seriously, he looks like a geriatric Maverick.

2) The villain hates my guts.

3) I think he is a regular and is unused to someone constantly forcing him to make big decisions.

4) While I think he is very capable of making a bluff with the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], I do not think this is a bluff. My read is that he is strong.

5) he does not understand me at all, and probably thinks I will call down as light as 22 so TT is definitely in his range.

6) Turn is an offsuit Q. I called it a brick earlier; but it could possibly change things since he would definitely limp QQ55/QQTT seeing as he would never raise from the small blind. (correctly I think given my limited knowledge of PLO)
Old 03-07-2007, 08:49 AM

i'd prolly call flop. If he pots turn, i prolly fold. Now that i think about it, i may just fold the flop.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:02 AM

Fold instantly. Do not even think about continuing unless you have good reads.

If he is not absolute nit he could be making bare ace play with hand like top set. Anyhow his most likely hand is nut flush. When nits show strength in Omaha you need to have monster in order to continue.

If you continue you have prepared to bluff pairing board. It can be very costly if he has top set + naked ace.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold instantly. Do not even think about continuing unless you have good reads.

If he is not absolute nit he could be making bare ace play with hand like top set. Anyhow his most likely hand is nut flush. When nits show strength in Omaha you need to have monster in order to continue.

If you continue you have prepared to bluff pairing board. It can be very costly if he has top set + naked ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I should just fold the flop because of reverse implied odds or call and fold when he pots it on the turn?

Results: When he pots the turn I think for a minute and laugh as I expose the K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Tx while folding. Then he said something very disparaging about my sanity and showed A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Qx5x.

I find it very intriguing that a fold on the flop would be standard against a nit (especially considering I have position) and that the second nuts is not a very strong hand against his range. I am really trying to improve in Omaha because it is so popular around here. I feel like I am giving up a ton of EV by not sitting against the donks who will throw >$1000 in a pot with two pair and a gutshot; but good Omaha information is a lot harder to come by than hold em. Do you guys have any recommendations for books?

Thanks for the advice.