Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Traveling to Italy

So who has been? My wife and I are planning a trip for the early Fall, and I was hoping to get some recommendations and thoughts from those who have been there. Must see cities? Unknown gem off-the-beaten-path towns? Recommendations on lodging, or researching lodging?

And yeah, I know, google, etc etc, but I find that people on here usually have good recommendations.

Mostly we want to enjoy food and drink, and do some wine touring as well. Seeing the classic sights is also good, but not as huge of a priority.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Traveling to Italy

are you going early enough in the fall that you'll want to go to beaches?
Old 03-05-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are you going early enough in the fall that you'll want to go to beaches?

[/ QUOTE ]

Current plan is first two weeks of September. So I guess that isn't even technically fall yet. So yeah, some interest in beaches, but it's not a TOP priority.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:22 PM

Spend as much time as possible in Florence.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:48 PM

there are 5 towns on the riviera called the "cinque terre" - don't miss it. you'll love it
Old 03-06-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there are 5 towns on the riviera called the "cinque terre" - don't miss it. you'll love it

[/ QUOTE ]

I was planning to go here, got off the train, saw like 10 dudes in UW hoodies, got right back on the train. Yes it is beautiful but when I was there it was overrun by frat guy types.

I went to Noli, which is further North on the Riviera and loved it. Very small town with good beaches, a couple castles and great food.

I also liked Terracinna for a medium sized beach town south of Rome.

KJS
Old 03-06-2007, 04:06 PM

In Tuscany, not far from Pisa, is a small town called Lucca. It was a major highlight of our '92 trip. Lucca is an old walled city and has a very traditional way and feel about it. We (the wife and I) stayed in a villa (Villa Brancoli) up on the hill and used it as a base for excursions. The meals in Lucca were outstanding.

Siena has been mentioned in this thread and it was a highlight, very much worth the trip. Siena is known for its town square and a duomo which features alternating black and white ringed pillars. Another town we enjoyed was Pienza, which is walled and in a scenic, hilly area. I remember a wild boar prosciutto we found there that I'd love to find again.

Florence didn't make quite the impression that others normally have but a trip is somewhat obligatory. A regret is not making it to Venice.

In Rome, I thought the Vatican was a major highlight. I've not heard it discussed often as a leading tourist destination, but found myself struck by it. This is not an opinion tainted by religious or aesthetic considerations, but the Vatican made a lasting impression.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:20 PM

Spend one day at most in Rome. You will seriously be in awe at how rude the Romans are to outsiders. People everywhere outside of Rome are very friendly in general though.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Spend one day at most in Rome. You will seriously be in awe at how rude the Romans are to outsiders. People everywhere outside of Rome are very friendly in general though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is awful advice. Rome is beautiful and you need AT LEAST three days to see everything.

The Romans are also very friendly if you get to actually talking to them.

I can tell you're a douchebag, especially based on that avatar of your's.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:25 PM

man, I'm really jealous.

I've been to Umbria and Tuscany, as well as Rome. If you get a chance, you want to drive along the Amalfi Coast - it's very beautiful and romantic. Florence is very nice, as well.

You want to get into the Italian way of life: get up, have a little breakfast....drive to another town through rolling green hills to have lunch....lunch for two hours...drive back, take a nap...go down to the little town near where you're staying and have dinner...

repeat the process the next day!

Rome is absolutely nuts. But fun. Be careful if you plan on driving. I once saw three cars, horns blaring, pass an ambulance that had its siren going.