Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Philly lets Garcia go

What does anyone think of this?

Thew move seems pretty odd to me after Garcia's performance last year. It sounds like Garcia wanted to stay. He said he was comfortable with a backup role and being paid as a backup. Why wouldn't they even negotiate with him before signing Feeley? Were they just trying to avoid the whole QB controversy mess that would have occurred the first time McNabb put up a bad game?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Philly lets Garcia go

garcia gets the shaft wherever he goes

he'll get picked up in a heartbeat of course
Old 02-28-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Both literally and figuratively
Old 02-28-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop listening to TO. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey-oh! Yes! Hohoho.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:48 PM

Reading between the lines, it seemed to me that Garcia wanted what would amount to starter's money. The Eagles probably could have made more of an effort to sign him but they're not going to pay him what he wants to be a backup. And yes they do want to avoid a QB controversy as well.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reading between the lines, it seemed to me that Garcia wanted what would amount to starter's money. The Eagles probably could have made more of an effort to sign him but they're not going to pay him what he wants to be a backup. And yes they do want to avoid a QB controversy as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Everything I've read said the team and Garcia had not had any communication at all about what he wanted or what they'd be willing to pay, and they signed Feeley before even speaking to him. That's what I thought was so odd about it.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Everything I've read said the team and Garcia had not had any communication at all about what he wanted or what they'd be willing to pay, and they signed Feeley before even speaking to him. That's what I thought was so odd about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

From ESPN.

[ QUOTE ]

There were rumblings the past few days that Philadelphia officials, apparently convinced they could not strike a deal with Garcia before the start of the free agency period on March 2, had turned their attentions to Feeley, a six-year veteran.

Steve Baker, the agent for Garcia, said here Sunday afternoon that the Eagles preferred to have a deal in place with his client before free agency started. Apparently, Garcia asked for a five-day grace period at the outset of unrestricted free agency, one that would permit him to test the market and gauge his value, before determining whether to re-sign with the Eagles.

"Once we would not agree with their ultimatum," Baker said, "they apparently moved on to [Feeley] to get a deal there. But Jeff will be fine."

While the move is somewhat surprising, given that Garcia posted a 5-1 record and led the Eagles to a playoff berth after replacing the injured Donovan McNabb, it is not altogether shocking. At age 29, Feeley is nearly eight full years younger than Garcia, and the staff in Philadelphia, including head coach Andy Reid, holds him in high regard.

"I was surprised I wasn't offered a contract. There was never anything to negotiate over," Garcia said Monday in an interview with Comcast SportsNet. "We never know what it would've amounted to. It wasn't about the money. It was about being in a great situation."

[/ QUOTE ]

There was some level of communication going on, maybe not formal offer, but it sounds like Garcia's agent made it clear how much he wanted. Apparently the Eagles didn't want to wait through five days of free agency to see if he'd come back cheap.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:03 PM

People make it seem like it as Garcia took the team on his shoulders in order to make the run the birds made, when in reality it was the dedication to the run and Westbrook (about f*ckin time, Reid) that turned this team around.

This is not saying Garcia didn't do an excellent job filling in, but who's to say Feely couldn't have done the same thing.

Sean Peyton challenged Garcia to beat the Saints by stopping our run game and forcing the Eagles to win with the passing game, and Garcia had some problems due to lack of arm strength.

And there's no use in overpaying for a backup QB.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:15 PM

if garcia wanted to stay with the eagles, of course he was going to want backup money, no way he's dumb enough to ask them for starter type money with mcnabb there...i forgot where, but i remember reading that he was open to the backup idea for a team...

right, don't overpay for a backup QB, but don't dismiss the idea all together since mcnabb has had his fair share of injuries and it's the most vital part of a team in general...