Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 04:16 PM

Default self censorship

are there any views opinions you self censor? i used to have none. I have many strange controversial views that i will spout at the drop of a hat, argue ad nauseum and back w/ my bankroll if the answer can be proven. lately i have taken one out of the repertoire. I DONT SUPPORT THE TROOPS. last time i checked people have free will. it seems to many morons like to back thier view on this subject w/ their fists and/or decide they can never speak to me again because im worse than hitler or something. what view do you censor?
Old 02-27-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: self censorship

[ QUOTE ]
I DONT SUPPORT THE TROOPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got to put you on the spot here as I have to hear your reasoning on this one. I promise not to turn this into anything more than just accepting your response.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:50 PM

When I'm being smart, I try to not waste time in conversations with people that I know won't/can't listen about what I'm trying to say.

There's a lot of stuff about race and class that I don't bother to discuss with people who I know won't understand or it just won't change. Same with gun control and religion.

From where it seems like you're comming (free will), I think "I don't support the troops" has a chance of being an awfully unsophisticated argument, but I'd love to hear it.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got to put you on the spot here as I have to hear your reasoning on this one. I promise not to turn this into anything more than just accepting your response.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
From where it seems like you're comming (free will), I think "I don't support the troops" has a chance of being an awfully unsophisticated argument.......

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I would say that I support the troops, but only insofar as blah blah blah standard widely accepted opinion that couldn't possibly cause one to impose self censorhip to avoid discussing........

[/ QUOTE ]

it's funny how people can simultaneously miss and illustrate the point of the thread at the same time.
(or maybe I'm misunderstanding?)

I think that "Ending World Hunger" is not only an absurd idea but a very bad one to strive for. Redistributing world hunger is a more realistic and less destructive idea.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:52 PM

I would say that I support the troops, but only insofar as I realize that there were plenty of people that didn't think "I want to be in a war".

There are people that signed up for various branches for educational benefits, etc.

Others were poor and dumb and got roped into it.

I'm not supportive of what our Commander in Chief is trying to do, but I want as many troops to make it home alive as possible. Then I want them to get the best mental health and general healthcare possible.

So, I support the troops inasmuch that I support people not dying even if they made some bad decisions to be there.

Except for the dudes that kill and rape Iraqi women and children. I don't give a [censored] about trauma of war, that should NEVER occur.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not supportive of what our Commander in Chief is trying to do, but I want as many troops to make it home alive as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how almost every person I've came across that claims they don't support the troops actually feels. They seem to think that just because you support the young men and women to come home safe, it means you agree with the political cause, which certainly isn't true.

Apparently, it's a two way street though since people were so successful in turning no votes towards the Iraqi war into an "against the troops" vote. It shouldn't be and I feel like anyone with 1/2 a sense should be able to differentiate the two.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:12 PM

As a general rule, any view that generates a response you don't care for is probably best left unexpressed. To most people, this is known as survival.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:41 PM

i don't really censor myself so much as i just don't bother starting arguments that can't be won / have no purpose. i hold a lot of opinions that would probably shock or offend most people but they aren't really important to my daily activities, so i don't feel obligated to share them.

there's a difference between a conflict of principles and a conflict of opinions. i won't hesitate to hash out the former whenever necessary. the latter is usually not worth getting into.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, I support the troops inasmuch that I support people not dying even if they made some bad decisions to be there.

[/ QUOTE ]

so that means you support the people our troops are fighting too, right?
Old 02-27-2007, 06:00 PM

I have found that as I have gotten older I have become more conservative. I am more liberal than most people my age, but compared to the ultra liberal university students I go to school with, I am Rush Limbaugh. I generally keep my yap shut in classroom discussions because it is pretty pointless to get into an argument with kids. (No offense to university students on here. for the most part you guys are intelligent, and can form good arguments. I am sure even you realize that you are the exception and not the norm).