Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Room review - The Double Deuce PHX AZ

This is being posted with the permission of the ownership of the room.

Double Deuce located in South Phoenix, I-10 and Wanner.

The DD is a supply store by day and a social poker room at night. They sell all kinds of home game supplies, tables, cards, chips, etc.

The DD is owned and run by a former floor man in the area, with about 15 years in the business.

At this point you are likely asking, how is this legal... It is. It is a no rake, no membership, no door charge, social poker room. It has been open about a year, and has been investigated by Phoenix PD and the state attorney general, and cleared to operate.

The room: Three 9 handed tables, with decent chairs. It has a refrigerator if you care to BYOB or bring food. It is a smoking room. It is in the Bashas center at 48th ST and Warner, with several fast food and sit down places to eat.

The games: They spread cash games nightly, mostly white chip games upwards of 8/16 and a red chip 2/5 PLHE game. They run MTT Tues, Thrus and Saturdays, as $25R+A. A percentage is held from the MTT pool by the players for a quarterly (maybe monthly) freeroll based on points awarded by finish.

Process and procedure: not bad but not perfect either, but nothing that would really negatively impact the game. Just a couple of nit picky things.

People: Nice, several faces I have played in the rooms in the area. Overall the level of play is about equal to or slightly better than the average 3/6 player in the area with a few sharp players mixed.

All in all, not a bad little room.

http://www.doubledeucegaming.com/
Old 02-25-2007, 03:02 AM

Default Re: Room review - The Double Deuce PHX AZ

Can you tell me if they have 8-16 and the PLHE nightly? What do you think of their security? Are there many players showing up and what time need I get there to get a seat?

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:50 PM

Never run any NLHE cash games?
Old 02-25-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never run any NLHE cash games?

[/ QUOTE ]

From my talk with the Chuck the owner, they stopped spreading it on a regular basis because there was a crew coming in and short stack hit and running the game. As you can imagine that pissed off quite a few of regulars. From what I understand they were playing NL for a short time Friday night.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you tell me if they have 8-16 and the PLHE nightly? What do you think of their security? Are there many players showing up and what time need I get there to get a seat?

Thanks for the info.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have more a less a schedule of what they intend to spread each night, but as you can imagine with a room full of social players, they play pretty much whatever is in demand. The treand/attitude trends towards 8/16 and 2/5 PLHE.

Best thing to do is contact Chuck thru the website.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man I need to work on my reading comprehension!

Security, I can not talk too much about this, but it is there and more coming. The location is also in the middle of a 24hr shopping center located in a upper middle class area next to a country club. I seen PHX PD cruse by several times in the several hours I was there, not too mention some PD officers are regulars.

We had 20+ players last night most showing up around 7pm for the MTT. An 8/16 started shortly after we were down to 5-6 in the MTT. Your best bet is to contact Chuck.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:24 PM

Couple questions.
How can this place afford to operate?
I understand how it can beat the system legally.
Why would someone choose to run a card room all night?
For love of the game?

Do the dealers usually get toked?
What the angle?
I like the idea but just can't seem to grasp why someone would go to great lengths to put his place of business at risk.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:39 PM

Percula --

Thanks for the heads-up.

PLHE, eh? I'm intrigued.

How safe do you feel there?

--Nate
Old 02-25-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Percula --

Thanks for the heads-up.

PLHE, eh? I'm intrigued.

How safe do you feel there?

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly I feel pretty safe just everywhere I go, I didn't get the callousing on my knuckles from nothing. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

They can do more and are in the process of that now. I was not uncomfortable at all. They area is nice, lots of police patrols in the area (seen three drive by patrols in 3 hours), with it being right next to the country club helps a lot I think. Also the presence of off duty officers in the games make it "less than attractive" to hit.

But I am going to have to play there more to get a better feel for it.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Couple questions.
How can this place afford to operate?
I understand how it can beat the system legally.
Why would someone choose to run a card room all night?
For love of the game?

Do the dealers usually get toked?
What the angle?
I like the idea but just can't seem to grasp why someone would go to great lengths to put his place of business at risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is my understanding that the dealers pay the house an hourly rate to "work" there. Players typically tip the dealers the amount they would have been raked, $4-$6 per pot.

And yes, love of the game, and sales to the players make up a fair part of it.