Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 10:34 PM

Default \"The Well\" aejones style

OK well I'm getting over some illness so I'm not going anywhere for the next few days..

I don't have the quote, but I'm down in a well, feel free to ask things about anything, or throw things, etc.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Re: \"The Well\" aejones style

want to give a general background?

what level you play now?

any advice for a SSNL player to get better?

You have any "aha" moment(s) where everything just started to click?

Do you play poker as a living? Goto school?
Old 02-24-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
want to give a general background?

what level you play now?

any advice for a SSNL player to get better?

You have any "aha" moment(s) where everything just started to click?

Do you play poker as a living? Goto school?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll look up a general background, I have one written on my computer somewhere.

Now I play primarily 5/10 NL, my shots at 25/50 have gone terribly, and 10/20 is rigged against me, I'm not really doing anything wrong- just a bunch of coinflips and suckouts leaves me down like 10k in 2k hands or something. I still play some 3/6 and 2/4 whenever the games are good. In this state, you need to be able to play more than one level (especially at midstakes) to find decent games.

My advice for SSNL players is: study a lot. I used to spend like 4 hours a day on 2+2 (back when the information was better, honestly). I'm terrible with links, but there's a lot of stuff in the archives that I would highly recommend checking out. Even now, you can find a good discussion or two in HSNL or MSNL. When all else fails, grind grind grind to get a roll, and then get better by experience.

I have "aha" moments all the time. I'm constantly having revelations about "holy [censored] I could be sick good, where did this play come from?" I think the one moment where I decided I could kill online poker is when I got my preflop game together. The one moment I realized I could kill all forms of poker was when reading a thread about a Samo/Bld hand, and a certain thought process, it was just amazing when I realized how sick this particular line was... and then I just started thinking about the game better after that.

I go to college at Butler University in Indianapolis, but I could play professionall if I want. I promised my mother I'd get a college degree, and since I'm not 21 anyways, I don't think I could make that much more money if I only played poker (plus I think I would burn out).
Old 02-24-2007, 10:36 PM

basic stuff, stakes, vpip/pfr/agro, how long youve played, total hands, pt graph if you got it, etc.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:39 PM

How do you see the future of online poker? Are the games getting tougher at your stakes? Do you see it getting to the point where you might not find it worthwhile playing? What's your over/under on how much longer you will be playing seriously?
Old 02-24-2007, 10:46 PM

what adjustments does a winning SSNL need to make in order to be a winning MSNL player?

If you had to describe your personal strategy to win at a no limit hold'em table in 2 sentences, what would you say?
Old 02-24-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what adjustments does a winning SSNL need to make in order to be a winning MSNL player?

If you had to describe your personal strategy to win at a no limit hold'em table in 2 sentences, what would you say?

[/ QUOTE ]

A winning SSNL player must play a large amount of hands to acquire "reads." Having sick reads (as I have) do not come overnight. I know what guys have becuase I've seen ten thousand guys play the exact same hand in a similar way, and I quantify players into categories.

I play mostly shorthanded, so this will be based upon that:

"Bet a lot because no one ever has anything. Always stay one level ahead of your opponents."
Old 02-24-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

..... and I quantify players into categories.

[/ QUOTE ]

Such as ???
Old 02-24-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you see the future of online poker? Are the games getting tougher at your stakes? Do you see it getting to the point where you might not find it worthwhile playing? What's your over/under on how much longer you will be playing seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]

The games are getting more difficult. However, since guys tilt/spew and play exploitably in general, I feel like I can still beat today's games very well. In fact, the more difficult the games have become, the more I have moved up strangely enough.

I think the future of online poker is doomed. If they continue to get worse at this rate, it'll all be over soon. By over, I mean it'll be all the best of the best playing at the same time. I see some guys who play 5/10 all the time that are regulars that I KNOW have to be losing money. So, if the guys who are regs are losing and or moving down, it's just going to trickle down until it's slow death. For now though, I guess I'll just make what I can and not ask questions. I think the online poker community as a whole really needs a break soon, I just don't know where it's going to come from. Eventually, it just won't be worth playing- I'm actually kind of looking forward to the death of it to be honest, as weird as that sounds. I just want to have time where I don't feel like "If I'm not playing, then I'm losing money."

I hope to be playing seriously and making money for the new several months... then, hopefully I'll be able to just relax and take 6 months off before I turn 21 (December 1st) where I'll have more pressure to play seriously live.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
basic stuff, stakes, vpip/pfr/agro, how long youve played, total hands, pt graph if you got it, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]