Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Another Econ Question: Perfect Competition

I've been thinking about this subject for a bit. I remember a brief discussion of perfect competition in my microecon class a few years ago, but I don't remember the teacher explaining the assumptions. Looking at these assumptions now, they seem totally unreasonable. Here they are, according to wikipedia:

Atomicity
*An atomistic market is one in which there are a large number of small producers and consumers on a given market, each so small that its actions have no significant impact on others. Firms are price takers, meaning that the market sets the price that they must choose.

Homogeneity
*Goods and services are perfect substitutes; that is, there is no product differentiation.
Perfect and complete information

*All firms and consumers know the prices set by all firms (see perfect information and complete information).
Equal access
*All firms have access to production technologies, and resources are perfectly mobile.

Free entry
*Any firm may enter or exit the market as it wishes (see barriers to entry).

If you believe these assumptions are not unrealistic, could you explain to me why?

If these assumptions are unrealistic, then of what use is perfect competition to us in economics?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Another Econ Question: Perfect Competition

[ QUOTE ]
I've been thinking about this subject for a bit. I remember a brief discussion of perfect competition in my microecon class a few years ago, but I don't remember the teacher explaining the assumptions. Looking at these assumptions now, they seem totally unreasonable. Here they are, according to wikipedia:

Atomicity
*An atomistic market is one in which there are a large number of small producers and consumers on a given market, each so small that its actions have no significant impact on others. Firms are price takers, meaning that the market sets the price that they must choose.

Homogeneity
*Goods and services are perfect substitutes; that is, there is no product differentiation.

*All firms and consumers know the prices set by all firms (see perfect information and complete information).
Equal access
*All firms have access to production technologies, and resources are perfectly mobile.

Free entry

If you believe these assumptions are not unrealistic, could you explain to me why?

If these assumptions are unrealistic, then of what use is perfect competition to us in economics?

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the use of Newtonian physics once we discovered relativity? What is the use of using g as a constant when it changes with distance?

Once you understand the basics, its easy to account for these external factors to the degree you need to.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Atomicity

Homogeneity

Equal access

Free entry

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the use of Newtonian physics once we discovered relativity? What is the use of using g as a constant when it changes with distance?

Once you understand the basics, its easy to account for these external factors to the degree you need to.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this argument is that the "perfect competition" model bears no resemblence whatsoever to any economic situation in the real world. Newtonian physics is applicable to almost every physical situation in the everyday world. The two aren't in any way analogous.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:56 AM

Ok, replace that with models of physics that account for frictionless surfaces, massless springs, or no wind resistance.

Are studying these examples "useless" too? They surely don't apply in the real world.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not much. No-one has worked out how to create a free market, that's why we have capitalism. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2007, 12:44 AM

They are all reasonable.

do you see why?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They are all reasonable.

do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing he does not, considering he wrote this:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-23-2007, 12:56 AM

"Perfect competition" is extremely useful. It allows for what passes as economists these days to characterize real world competition as "imperfect", and therefore flawed, and hence in need of "fixing." The "perfect competition" cannard is used to justify all sorts of interventions into the market. See the arguments trotted out on this board innumerable times about the lack of "perfect information" in the market.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:10 AM

Yeah, I don't think anybody could ever claim that these are even vaguely realistic.

Given they are unrealistic I think this means that the dead weight loss is actually much less than that typically written in econ textbooks. Some dead weight loss in monopoly situations definitely still occurs but there's still no good reason to attempt to "fix" it with govt intervention.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:20 AM

generic clothing has perfect competition.

Do you see why?